Quieter Miter Saw
I have a Ryobi miter saw which I've had for years and still use almost daily (it just won't die
Big Grin ) that literally "screams" 
Upset  when the electric blade brake activates!   It's loud when it's running, too.  I heard a Festool miter saw the other day and it was much quieter.  I don't have the money for the Festool though.  Could some recommend a cheaper, quieter miter saw? Thanks ahead of time for any help.
(10-27-2017, 02:04 PM)tedthebed Wrote: I have a Ryobi miter saw which I've had for years and still use almost daily (it just won't die
Big Grin ) that literally "screams" 
Upset  when the electric blade brake activates!   It's loud when it's running, too.  I heard a Festool miter saw the other day and it was much quieter.  I don't have the money for the Festool though.  Could some recommend a cheaper, quieter miter saw? Thanks ahead of time for any help.

When was the last time you replaced the brushes in the motor maybe even the bearings? 

That is the cheap way out.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

Welcome to WoodNet Ted.

I have had the DeWalt 12" Sliding Compound Miter Saw since 1999 and have been very happy with it.  Actually I have had five of the DeWalt 12" SCMS, that's right 5.  I only paid for one; I loaned mine four times and it got stolen.  Each time the borrowers replaced it so my current one is only 8 years old.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Joe hit a good point on brushes, and bearings, and not just with chop saws you will find the cheaper cousins will always be louder, and require fixes like brushes and bearings more often than their rich relatives (better parts vs not so good ones). Some more of the old adage, ya get what ya pay for...... Thing is if you don't make a living with it, and just need occasional use, cheap is in, just doesn't figure to have 1300 bux laying there waiting for 3 months between uses. So like all else in life, it's a balancing act.

Welcome to the forum.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(10-27-2017, 05:10 PM)Steve N Wrote: Joe hit a good point on brushes, and bearings, and not just with chop saws you will find the cheaper cousins will always be louder, and require fixes like brushes and bearings more often than their rich relatives (better parts vs not so good ones). Some more of the old adage, ya get what ya pay for...... Thing is if you don't make a living with it, and just need occasional use, cheap is in, just doesn't figure to have 1300 bux laying there waiting for 3 months between uses. So like all else in life, it's a balancing act.

Welcome to the forum.
If you don't need it portable, a ras would be my choice. Much quieter, and more versatile.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
My life went from a miter box, with a handsaw, to a powered miter saw, never kept a RAS for more than the time to flip them. My impression is not the same as yours. Way too much footprint taken up, for not much increase over what a chop box either motorized, or beer powered will net ya. Unless you go above 10" models, then you are talking about huge footprints, so for the space I was never a believer. The best case for one as a tool was using them to rip with, and then I found out how scary that was. No thank you....
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
Not much to add to the above (my choice would also be an RAS), but I do want to say welcome to the forum. If you've never visited before you will find that we always, always, unanimously agree on absolutely everything! [Image: rolling.gif]
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-03-2017, 05:42 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Not much to add to the above (my choice would also be an RAS), but I do want to say welcome to the forum. If you've never visited before you will find that we always, always, unanimously agree on absolutely everything! [Image: rolling.gif]

Green ones are the quietest.

- Sitting back and grabbing my popcorn now.

Welcome to the fun!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

(11-03-2017, 07:46 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: Green ones are the quietest.

- Sitting back and grabbing my popcorn now.

Welcome to the fun!

My 12 inch green one barks like a rabid dog when you squeeze the trigger .

wait

wait

Hitachi green

If it can't kill you it probably ain't no good. Better living through chemicals.

Seriously though, if you turn the speed down to suit the material, the kapex is very quiet.