Ebonizing Poplar
(03-13-2018, 08:40 PM)Danny in Houston Wrote: Next I started oiling the table base with tung oil.  I let several coats soak in then I sanded with 400 grit.  The 135 yr old pecan slab had started to splat, but it's still rock solid.  The spalting  really added character to the wood.  I used black epoxy to fill the cracks, and with the black base it looks SICK!!

Looks pretty good to me. I assume you meant SLICK instead of SICK.
Man, your table came out great!!!!!!!!!

To me, you hit a Grand Slam with the base, both, in design and color.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I got good results using General Finishes black chalk paint (imitation chalk paint) and top coating it with clear.  For some reason brushing on the GF finish with a foam brush results in a finish that is completely devoid of any runs or brush marks. 

I tried top coating it with a clear matte finish but it made the black look grey.  The semi gloss looked jet black and that is what I used.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
That's gonna be awesome, Danny.  I'm not a fan of rectangular steel bases.  This one is in another league.  

John
I've been looking forward to seeing the finished table, Danny. Beautiful work!
Yes

Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
Looks awesome Danny. Bravo!!
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Include me in the chorus singing praise. Love the base.

The only thing - super tiny thing - is the reflection off the top. From here it looks like the oil built up a bit and is not mirror smooth. Did you sand between the final coats any? My best efforts are wet sanded with 800 grit before the final coat.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(03-17-2018, 05:54 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: Include me in the chorus singing praise. Love the base.

The only thing - super tiny thing - is the reflection off the top. From here it looks like the oil built up a bit and is not mirror smooth. Did you sand between the final coats any? My best efforts are wet sanded with 800 grit before the final coat.

The photo was taken while I was letting the top soak with oil.  I have yet to add a top coat, still in the process.  I also wet sand with 600 grit toward the end of the finishing schedule.  After I let it soak, I wipe off the excess with paper towels.  

I only get to work on it on Saturdays, so this will take a while.  I'm still experimenting with the final top coat on some samples.  I do not want a shiny surface, will use a satin top coat and steel wool / cotton rag rubbing to keep it looking like real wood and not plastic.