Pen making in an apartment
(10-29-2017, 05:14 PM)crokett™ Wrote: If she has a balcony, for a couple years in 2 different apartments my 'shop' was my apt balcony.  I didn't do turning out there, but I did use a circular saw, router and a few other tools.    She could turn outside and make a mess, then bring the lathe inside when she's not using it.

Yeah, unfortunately no balcony.
Bruce.
Dust when sanding and it really doesn't matter if the vac set up could suck the chrome off a bumper....dust will still appear everywhere. Chips aren't that big a deal to broom up. I doubt she'd be able to turn any acrylics. The odor may upset the neighbors. Has she taken a turning class yet? Maybe there's a makers space or alternate site. How bout the local turning club.?
(10-29-2017, 05:58 PM)whatline Wrote: Dust when sanding and it really doesn't matter if the vac set up could suck the chrome off a bumper....dust will still appear everywhere. Chips aren't that big a deal to broom up. I doubt she'd be able to turn any acrylics. The odor may upset the neighbors. Has she taken a turning class yet? Maybe there's a makers space or alternate site. How bout the local turning club.?

No she's taken no turning classes and I doubt there are any nearby but you never know. I think it would be great if there was, maybe meet a like minded person there as well...I will recommend your suggestion, it's a good one.
Bruce.
(10-29-2017, 04:13 PM)stillgotten Wrote: She'd be turning on a linoleum tile floor, a breakfast nook (taught her well on the use of available space
Wink ) and, for now anyway, all she'd be doing is turning pen blanks so not much material. 

We all know how that goes though, start on something small and it blossoms into a world woodworking craziness.

Never knew of acrylic blanks, will have to point her in that direction also.

She does have a shop vac and maybe with my help might be able to fashion some sort of dust collection hood, I'll think that through in my mind.

Arlin, I appreciate the offer of pen blanks but I'll decline only because I know you do a lot of work with the disabled vets and I'd rather the recourses go there, thanks anyway, you're a good man.

I have no pen kits right now and I have over 5000 pen blanks and maybe 500 acrylics which the guys really like.

All she needs is a home vacuum and a way to hold it up to the lathe if she has an attachment for a hose it will suck up any dust or shavings within 3" or more.  Also I have a jet pen lathe just for pens and I made mine to fit over a wheelchair arms.

When I get a building for all of us to work in Ed the owner of PSI told me he would give me 3 of these

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPAL.html

This also comes with a 2" hood so there is your suction part and variable speed for $199
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
She would also need a way to cut the blanks to size.Hand saw would be the best bet.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
(10-29-2017, 06:29 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: I have no pen kits right now and I have over 5000 pen blanks and maybe 500 acrylics which the guys really like.

All she needs is a home vacuum and a way to hold it up to the lathe if she has an attachment for a hose it will suck up any dust or shavings within 3" or more.  Also I have a jet pen lathe just for pens and I made mine to fit over a wheelchair arms.

When I get a building for all of us to work in Ed the owner of PSI told me he would give me 3 of these

https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PENPAL.html

This also comes with a 2" hood so there is your suction part and variable speed for $199
Oh wow that does everything she would need, I'll look further into that, thanks Arlin.
(10-29-2017, 06:57 PM)chips ahoy Wrote: She would also need a way to cut the blanks to size.Hand saw would be the best bet.

Mel

She'll have dad to cut blanks, it's what we do.
Yes
Bruce.
(10-29-2017, 07:08 PM)stillgotten Wrote: Oh wow that does everything she would need, I'll look further into that, thanks Arlin.

She'll have dad to cut blanks, it's what we do.
Yes

Bruce

I know how you feel.  I helped my oldest daughter who has 4 kids how to turn and she loves it, but no time at least until another 5 to 7 years and the youngest will be 9 so she will have a little more time.  I hope when she comes this thanksgiving she will do more with me.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I turned in an apartment for 7 years.The lathe was in the closet(two bifold doors),the shop vac and dust deputy was on a cart I made as was the 10 inch band saw.I always kept the door to the hall closed when I was turning as to not bother the neighbors.Upstairs or down I never had a complaint about noise and I asked the neighbors about it.I dont know what the floors (wood vs concrete)are but We had concrete floors and the lathe was just on the carpet.Dont think it would be a problem......
It's what you learn AFTER you know it all that matters........
If I’m a neighbor, I wouldn’t be too happy about someone using a balcony for turning. Chips and dust go everywhere, including onto my balcony.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Does she live close to you?
If so she's could drill and glue her pen blanks at your house.
Might be some good quality time together.