Step Ladders
Question 
Friends, 

I'm not sure this is the right forum, but here goes.  My cheap aluminum step ladder gave up the ghost today.  Fortunately, minimal injuries were received.  And I deserved them, I definitely used it past it's prime.

So I'm in the market for a good replacement.  And this time I want a quality product.  I'm less poor than when I bought the cheap aluminum one, so I'm willing to spend some dough.  The deceased ladder was 6 ft, though I think I might like to go 8 ft.  

Perusing the online offerings, I see a lot of variations on this theme, and I'm a little overwhelmed.  However, if some new hybrid step ladder out there has great functionality, I'm open to other suggestions besides the standard issue ladder.   

I have an extension ladder also, so I have greater heights somewhat covered.  

Thanks,
Mark
Mark in Sugar Land, TX
Werner fiberglass ladders with 300lb rating. Can not go wrong. If you want a more versatile ladder than "The Little Giant" multi ladder is a good deal.
John T.
I have the Keller version (linked here) of the "Little Giant".

It is a little heavy to carry around, but if that is not a show stopper, it is a great ladder.  I have a lighter fiberglass regular stepladder that I hardly ever use because this is much better.

*Very sturdy...no wobble at all if it is on solid ground.
*Versatile - I have worked on 12' ceilings with it, or it can be just under 6' tall for tighter spots.
*When we were working on ceilings at our church, there was also a 10' fiberglass traditional ladder there, and I liked this one better than that.
*Good on slopes or steps.
*The fact that you can go up & down either side of the ladder means it gets moved a lot less.  Not sure if this is OSHA approved, but I frequently go up one side and down the other and feel very safe doing it.

-One negative is that it is not a good substitute for an extension ladder...too heavy and a bear to move around at full extension.  There is a 26' version as well...I can't imagine trying to get that up against the house gently.  But you already have an extension, so that is probably not a big deal for you.  At a shorter extension length, it is nice to not need another ladder if this is around.
-The other negative is there isn't a shelf to put paint, etc. on, but not hard to make one that clips right on the top (but that makes it harder to go up one side/over/and down the other...).
The heavier the ladder the less you will like using it.

I will second the Werner fiberglass.  Especially since you already have an extension ladder.
No idea when you need it but Black Friday is almost always ladder sale day at HD and Lowes.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(10-29-2017, 08:10 PM)MarkSLSmith Wrote: The deceased ladder was 6 ft, though I think I might like to go 8 ft.  

An 8-foot step ladder is inconvenient to use indoors or at other locations where you have 8-foot ceiling heights. Werner makes a 7-foot step ladder. I have 4-, 6-, 7- and 8-foot ladders. I rarely use the 8-foot ladder. Definitely get fiberglass.

http://www.wernerco.com/us/en/view/Produ...S100/FS107
I have a lot of ladders from when I was a contractor and now my go to is the Little Giant that I bought off of Woot.  I ended up buying 3 and gave each of my kids one and they use them more than the fiberglass ones I had given them.
I have four stepladders and my favorite is an aluminum that is four or five feet, the rest are fiberglass and taller. The greatest feature of the aluminum is it's weight and size. I can carry tools in one hand and move the ladder with the other hand without folding it up. I only use the larger ladders when I can't reach from the aluminum.
(10-30-2017, 06:57 AM)Overland1 Wrote: I have four stepladders and my favorite is an aluminum that is four or five feet, the rest are fiberglass and taller. The greatest feature of the aluminum is it's weight and size. I can carry tools in one hand and move the ladder with the other hand without folding it up. I only use the larger ladders when I can't reach from the aluminum.

I have the 22' Werner Multi ladder (Little Giant type) and while it is very useful it is not light.   Would suggest going with the 17' version if you have extension ladders.  This type is great for working on stairs or around other stuff that different leg lengths are needed.   Mine has a 300 lb rating and is very sturdy.   But would not be a go to ladder for normal inside usage.  Roly
If a general step ladder is all that is needed, then I agree the standard Werner fiberglass is the ticket. I would go with at least a 300lb rated one. This is one area where more is better. Also agree that an 8' ladder is probably too big for inside the house, unless you have 10' ceilings. I have an 8' Werner, but only use it outside. I have a couple folding step stools and a 6' wooden step ladder for inside. My 3 step, step stool, with the tool tray, is probably the handiest ladder I have. I use it for just about everything inside.

If you need or want the versatility of a multi-ladder, then by all means go that route. Everyone I know who has them likes them, but they all complain that they are heavy. I don't have one, but if I were doing it all over again, I might consider getting one. Right now I have all the ladders I need and look for excuses not to have to climb them any more than I have to.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?