What's the best way to move a gun safe?
(11-06-2017, 05:44 PM)fixtureman Wrote: I just wonder how that one would do with 800 LBs going up stairs would if start to slipe back down

come a long to keep it from getting started to begin with
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(10-30-2017, 04:54 PM)dg152 Wrote: The thing weighs over 500 lbs!  Would it be best to rent an appliance dolly? 

I rented a stair climbing dolly to move a 500lb safe into my basement. Money well spent.
What is the code as far as stair loading in a house ?     Like basement stairs,  seems like a notched out 2x12 would not support a lot of weight.    Roly
(11-08-2017, 07:58 AM)Roly Wrote: What is the code as far as stair loading in a house ?     Like basement stairs,  seems like a notched out 2x12 would not support a lot of weight.    Roly

How many times have you followed a group of people up a flight of stairs?  Do the math on the weights and you might be surprised.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

It must have fallen on him.
And it's all ya'lls fault!  
Uhoh
(11-09-2017, 12:39 PM)daddo Wrote: It must have fallen on him.
And it's all ya'lls fault!  
Uhoh

Darwin

Phil Thien

Distributed load vs concentrated live load unless all the people on one step.   I know the people that moved a friends gun safe down his stairs came out to see if the steps would handle it before they took the job.    Roly
(11-09-2017, 01:00 PM)Roly Wrote: Distributed load vs concentrated live load unless all the people on one step.   I know the people that moved a friends gun safe down his stairs came out to see if the steps would handle it before they took the job.    Roly

while I understand what you are saying it doesn't really apply if the safe is laid down and slid up the stairs or had a guy on either end

Phil Thien

(11-09-2017, 12:47 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Darwin

Can't argue with mother nature.
Thanks for all of the suggestions. I rented a vending machine dolly. It looks like a regular appliance dolly but is larger and and can be leaned back on a retractable stand. The folks at Sam's loaded the safe onto my cargo trailer. Three really good friends helped me move it into my house and then back out when we figured out it would fit through the closet door. I either mis-read the safe dimensions or they provided the wrong dimensions. Either way, the guys were great about it and we ended up putting it in my garage (where, my wife informs me, will stay forever).