Mortise and Tenon Question
I making a table with 6" turned legs and 5" x 3/4" apron. I'm thinking about having them set back 1/2" from the outside edge of the leg. How thick and deep would you make the tenons?
Sounds like a big table.

Will it fit through doors and around corners with the legs attached?

If not, I’d consider using corner brackets to attach the legs.
(10-30-2017, 06:41 PM)Rick H Wrote: I making a table with 6" turned legs and 5" x 3/4" apron. I'm thinking about having them set back 1/2" from the outside edge of the leg. How thick and deep would you make the tenons?

I would suggest that the mortises intersect  

so probably about 5- 5 1/2" deep 

tables are rarely taller than 30" so the moving is a moot point. It will just be big. 

Joe
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

(10-30-2017, 06:41 PM)Rick H Wrote: I making a table with 6" turned legs and 5" x 3/4" apron. I'm thinking about having them set back 1/2" from the outside edge of the leg. How thick and deep would you make the tenons?

4” deep by 4” high, 1/2 thick. I’d consider 7/8 or full 1” stock for the rails given the size of the legs.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
You don't mention how long each skirt will span.

That being said, the size of your columns make your skirt size seem suspiciously thin.
Assuming you are spanning over 4' or so, I would go to 6/4 material and use a 3/4" tenon about 3" deep.
Either drawbore it if glued, or use  bedbolts if disassemby is needed.
This is likely overkill, but so are 6" columns.
(10-30-2017, 07:12 PM)loosetoe Wrote: You don't mention how long each skirt will span.

That being said, the size of your columns make your skirt size seem suspiciously thin.
Assuming you are spanning over 4' or so, I would go to 6/4 material and use a 3/4" tenon about 3" deep.
Either drawbore it if glued, or use  bedbolts if disassemby is needed.
This is likely overkill, but so are 6" columns.

You are right. 2 1/2 deep, wasn’t thinking clearly.
(10-30-2017, 07:15 PM)Admiral Wrote: You are right. 2 1/2 deep, wasn’t thinking clearly.

i changed to 3 after reading your reply.  but somewhere in that range
Smile
just so the mortises don't overlap.
(10-30-2017, 06:56 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Sounds like a big table.

Will it fit through doors and around corners with the legs attached?

If not, I’d consider using corner brackets to attach the legs.

(10-30-2017, 07:07 PM)JGrout Wrote: I would suggest that the mortises intersect  

so probably about 5- 5 1/2" deep 

tables are rarely taller than 30" so the moving is a moot point. It will just be big. 

Joe

Why?  Not disagreeing.  Just wondering your thought process.  Are you figuring the overlap will help with racking?
(10-30-2017, 07:17 PM)loosetoe Wrote: i changed to 3 after reading your reply.  but somewhere in that range
Smile
just so the mortises don't overlap.

Yup
(10-30-2017, 07:21 PM)loosetoe Wrote: Why?  Not disagreeing.  Just wondering your thought process.  Are you figuring the overlap will help with racking?

Tenons will rack less the deeper they are 

The intersection of the two does not mean they should meet but more depth is your friend when dealing with large legs and smaller aprons. The key is to reduce racking.
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy