Recommendations for miter gauge
(10-31-2017, 09:55 AM)Randy C Wrote: I have one of the craftsman zip code saws which I like a lot but the miter gauge that came with it is crappy.

Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced miter gauge to replace it with?

Thanks

I don't have any recommendation for a miter gauge , but have an idea that may help you with your craftsmen miter gauge. If you have a contractors saw that does not have an angle bar or tube for the fence , do this. 
Loosen the lock knob slightly, turn the miter gauge upside down and push it into the slot. Make sure the head is flush against the saw table and then lock the knob. This will give you a dead 90° . 
Every saw table ,circular or band saw I have used has dead perfect 90° slots to the table edge.
I use a band saw table for my gauge because I have a cabinet saw where the method I described won't work, rectangular tube for fence is in the way. I also set 45° and 22° angles with a scrap piece of MDF that I routed slots into similar to the saw table slots. 
Try it, you may not need another miter gauge.

mike
(10-31-2017, 01:39 PM)Ray Newman Wrote: Another vote for the Incra 1000SE

(10-31-2017, 03:22 PM)Admiral Wrote: +1

+2
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I have a JDS Accu-Miter that I have had for many years that I like alot. Not cheap but built heavy duty.
Another vote for the Osborne EB3.

Full disclosure, I have done most of their new videos since David Osborne took back sales and manufacturing of his invention from General, but I did so because I use it in my shop.

It is always dead accurate and VERY stable because of the triangle design. Especially when cross cutting long stock, it does not allow twisting of long stock.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
I also have the Incra V27. The price was right when I was looking to add a miter gauge to a saw that did not come with one. It has done everything I needed, but then my needs for a miter gauge are pretty rudimentary. Mostly I use it at 90 degrees.
(10-31-2017, 09:55 AM)Randy C Wrote: I have one of the craftsman zip code saws which I like a lot but the miter gauge that came with it is crappy.

Can anyone recommend a good reasonably priced miter gauge to replace it with?

Thanks

My first aftermarket was the Kreg miter gauge.https://www.kregtool.com/store/c47/saw-a...ge-system/

I now have an Incra 1000 HD, parked in their Miter Express. It is a very good sled.

http://www.incra.com/miter_gauges-miter1000hd.html

http://www.incra.com/miter_gauges-miter_express.html

They're both good, reasonably priced is another discussion.
I can't be more happy with the incra 1000 HD I just got. It is only $3 more on Amazon then the 1000 SE that people like and is much more accurate or at least more adjustable. 

To steve n' s point it is squarable and since every TS seems to be different I think that's good.

I will be buying the longer extension soon and then essentially have a 3000 HD.
"Life is too short for bad tools.".-- Pedder 7/22/11
And yet another vote for the Osborne EB3.
There are 10 kinds of people in the world, those who know binary and those who do not.
(11-03-2017, 01:48 PM)s9plus20 Wrote: And yet another vote for the Osborne EB3.

Osbornes are famously accurate but they are a little oddball in shape and design. IF you're looking for something more like the stock miter gauge but dead accurate, go with the Kreg. I love the pin-locking holes to always return it to a known accurate point. Out of the box it's dead on. The Incra's are also nice but too many reports of them being a bit off from the factory. Never heard that complaint about the Kreg.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson
Osborne EB3 for me!
We work to become, not to acquire.