DJ20 jointer replacement screws
Need to replace screws that hold blades in place. Delta wants almost $4 each. The ordginal ones seem to round off too easy. Any suggestions? Thanks...Bill
(10-31-2017, 11:51 AM)Bill Mains Wrote: Need to replace screws that hold blades in place. Delta wants almost $4 each. The ordginal ones seem to round off too easy. Any suggestions? Thanks...Bill

I'm missing a few on mine as well... that's probably not ok... I'm curious how this post goes.
I replaced all of mine years ago. I don't remember exactly where I got them, but I'm usually too cheap to pay $4 each for them. The way I usually do things is to find an equivalent screw at a local hardware or automotive parts supply; even if I have to cut them to the correct length. The latter would be my first choice. Only if that fails would I go for the expensive OEM part. I don't think they need to be high strength. I'm sure someone will correct me if I'm wrong.
(10-31-2017, 11:51 AM)Bill Mains Wrote: Need to replace screws that hold blades in place. Delta wants almost $4 each. The ordginal ones seem to round off too easy. Any suggestions? Thanks...Bill

Bill, if I recall the thread is 1/4/20 cap screw. Available at any hardware store. Try a 1/4/20 nut on a screw, or  thread a bolt into the cutter head to check the thread.
mike

I'm lucky, there is a "Mill Supply" store right near me, independent, pros, and have the most amazing stock of every bolt, nut and screw (high quality too) that you can think of; really old school guys, used to have a lot of independent machinists around who all went there, not so much anymore, so they branched out into more hardware and sell Amish sheds, playhouses, etc.  Used to be a Jet distributor, but that is long gone.  But they still have their nuts and bolts and lucky for me.  Try to find something like that, or get exact measurements of the screws and go McMaster.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

Bill,

socket head cap screws, if good quality, should be a grade 8. If you are rounding them over you may have a different style of bolt. Also, a lot of the time they will use a UNF thread (ie 1/4-28) rather than UNC (ie 1/4-20)
I would go online to McMaster-Carr or Granger and match your bolt style to their catalog. As stated in a previous post, check your thread size against known nuts. 
One more thing, if the machine was made offshore you may have metric bolts. A 6MM bolt looks almost identical to a 1/4-28 but they are not interchangeable.

either 

A: you are way over tightening the bolts 

B: using the wrong size or a real cheap wrench 

or 

C: both 

I know that one prefers the knives not fly out of the head but the design of the DJ20 is not one that would allow this to happen; the head design basically prevents this from happening as long as you snug the bolts all equally

I would spring for the 4 buck bolts mainly due to the head configuration (Rounded head to apply the pressure to a centralized point) 

and call it lesson learned albeit the hard (expensive) way
Let us not seek the Republican Answer , or the Democratic answer. Let us not seek to fix the blame for the past. Let us accept our own responsibility for the future  John F. Kennedy 

I think you'll have to bite the bullet and buy the screws from Delta.
I restored a Delta 37-315 jointer, and I needed both gibs and screws for it. I think the screws are the same as for your jointer. I was able to find the gibs, but I couldn't find any replacement screws anywhere.I ended up buying the replacements from Delta. At the time, they were $2.50 each, which I thought was outrageous.
The Delta screws have a rounded head, and the head seems thinner than a standard bolt.
If it's any consolation, you'll only have to buy them once.
Rick W
I have an old Delta jointer with the round motor cover on the front (can't remember the model).  I also had the same problem but I had a "parts" 4 " that by chance had the same "gib screws".  I don't think the originals were very hard.  Make sure you use a "good" wrench that fits nice for future use.

There should be plenty of DJ20 heads laying around in shops, complete with screws, as many of them have been replaced with Byrd and the like heads.  I know I got tired of moving mine around and eventually gave it to a Woodnetter for the cost of shipping (and the screws were perfect).  Put a want-ad in S&S!
Bob