Help Choosing a Spindle Sander
Not sure where you're seeing negative reviews on the Ridgid but I've had mine for several years and it works great for a bench top unit. It's versatile and very easy to use. As others have pointed out, if you're doing industrial work buy all means you need a larger unit. But for those of us with small shops the Ridgid fits the bill very well. Sometimes you can find a good used one on craigslist. Otherwise, the new price isn't all that bad.
(11-03-2017, 03:32 PM)Hank Knight Wrote: I'm still undecided, but I think I'm going to gamble on the Rigid. For a machine that will get only occasional use, the price makes sense. I would like to have the Jet, but I can't justify the $500.00 price tag. I appreciate your input. It has helped my decision.

Pretty sure you have 90 days to decide if you don't like it from HD, so you have nothing to loose.
I've had this sander for several years and as a hobbyist woodworker it has served me well.

I have posted this upgrade before but may be worth showing again. It makes changing the sanding drums much easier as the small knob can get so tight you have to use a pair of pliers to loosen it. The upgrade is simply a 2" wooden knob that fits over the original knob providing greater leverage. Since it is a slip fit (I added blue tape for a snug fit) it is easy to remove but stays on in use. An important feature as I can misplace my glasses several times a day.

The second item is the fan assembly. I have read that if sawdust builds up under the fan it can break. Just use a dust collector and sweep out under the fan occasionally. I always remove the drums or belt assembly when I am done with the unit so this is just part of the process for me.

Finally put the 1/2" I.D. washer on top of the fan and leave it there. Remove only when using the belt. This washer is needed when using the smallest sanding drum or the sanding sleeve can cut into the fan assembly. This is documented on page 16 of my manual. I had been using the sander 4 years when I read about this on line by somebody who reads operator manuals. Obviously I am not one of those people. It doesn't hurt to leave this washer on when using any of the larger sanding drums.

Bill

Attached Files Image(s)

I picked up the Rigid earlier this year and used it for making Pine Wood Derby cars with the Cub Scouts.  Dust Collection was good with a shop vac and easy to change belts on.  It worked well for the kids and me. I hope to use it latter for some gifts.  The one caveat is to register it right away.  Then make sure when you login you have the lifetime agreement. I say this, because I register my 2 angle grinders not knowing any better. Thought I had the lifetime, but asked when I saw it as Lifetime was listed for the sander.  I will say this prompted me to look, and it now says Lifetime. Dan
(11-01-2017, 05:59 PM)fixtureman Wrote: I have the old Harbor Freight one that works really good.

Same here, bought them when they first came out for 39 bux and change. I don't need it often, but over ??? 13, 15??? years it's never slowed down or failed me. I would just answer if you have never needed one, and only see occasional use coming up I wouldn't spend big money. Save that money for stuff like wide belt sanders, jointers, planers, band saw/resaw, that you can use literally on every project.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW