Help Choosing a Spindle Sander
(11-01-2017, 11:35 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: I'm thinking about buying a spindle sander for a project I'm working on and for occasional use afterward. I'v always used a sanding drum on my drill press, but a spindle sander would be much handier. There seem to be three types: The big, floor standing industrial models, the more substantial "bench top" ones like Jet and maybe Delta, and the inexpensive, smaller bench tops like Rigid, Triton and others. The big boys are out of consideration because of both price and space requirements, so I'm looking at a bench top. I originally thought I'd buy the Rigid, but recent reviews have been terrible. What do you have/use and how do you like it? What do you recommend? I'd particularly like to hear from Rigid owners. How long have you had your machine and how well does it perform? It seems that the newer ones sold after about 2014 are subject to lots of criticism. Do you have a newer model that performs well?
TIA.

Hank

Another vote for the Delta "Boss." Had mine for 12+ years and with limited usage, no complaints. It has a cast iron table.

Doug
http://www.grizzly.com/products/Benchtop...rizzly.com

This is the one I have, it's the next model up from the one Arlin has. My son has one also and he uses the heck out of his. Loves it.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
my Ridgid has given me outstanding service ever since I bought it. Not sure where the OP is seeing negative reviews on this unit as I don't recall seeing too many.
I had The Ridgid a while ago.  I hated it.  The belt was hard to track.  The spindle would self tighten so much that you needed a pliers to get it loose.  The coating on the table wore off and left marks on the wood.  The spindle worked fine but was a little short.  I sold it and bought a floor standing Grizzly OSS and Jet OES.  I am much happier now.  I have read sever threads over the years that the fan is a part that is no longer available even thought Ridgid is still making the sanders.  Apparently it is a common part that needs replacing.
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
Clayton also made benchtop units......hard to find used (no longer made) and pricey when they are found.

My floor model has been flawless.

Ed
(11-02-2017, 09:43 AM)CARYinWA Wrote: I had The Ridgid a while ago.  I hated it.  The belt was hard to track.  The spindle know would self tighten so much that you needed a pliers to get it loose.  The coating on the table wore off and left marks on the wood.  The spindle worked fine but was a little short.  I sold it and bought a floor standing Grizzly OSS and Jet OES.  I am much happier now.  I have read sever threads over the years that the fan is a part that is no longer available even thought Ridgid is still making the sanders.  Apparently it is a common part that needs replacing.

I have the Ridgid, other than finding the sweet spot for the tracking, it has been a decent sander for me...I am sure there are others out there, but the price point for the Ridgid is pretty compelling...
(11-01-2017, 11:35 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: I'm thinking about buying a spindle sander for a project I'm working on and for occasional use afterward. I'v always used a sanding drum on my drill press, but a spindle sander would be much handier. There seem to be three types: The big, floor standing industrial models, the more substantial "bench top" ones like Jet and maybe Delta, and the inexpensive, smaller bench tops like Rigid, Triton and others. The big boys are out of consideration because of both price and space requirements, so I'm looking at a bench top. I originally thought I'd buy the Rigid, but recent reviews have been terrible. What do you have/use and how do you like it? What do you recommend? I'd particularly like to hear from Rigid owners. How long have you had your machine and how well does it perform? It seems that the newer ones sold after about 2014 are subject to lots of criticism. Do you have a newer model that performs well?
TIA.

Hank
I have had a Rigid since they first came on the market I guess 15 yrs ago, Hank...It has the edge sander feature {don't know if they still do}..I have used it quite a lot both on metal and wood with no complaints...I like the edge sanding feature...can't vouch for the new ones tho....Hope you get a good one...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(11-01-2017, 12:05 PM)Strokes77 Wrote: The ridgid is a great unit.  It's really, really good at what it does.

Yes. And it is also a stationary (oscillating) belt sander.  And covers about a 5" width (less than 6" at any rate).

But forget about ordering replacement parts from HomeDepot.  I had to get them online.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I recently bought the Ridgid. I used it for about 10 hours immediately after purchase. It worked fine. The oscillating belt sander option is cool as well. I expect to use the sander occasionally so it will not see heavy use. I did not pay for a production machine either. 

It does seem to be all plastic.
I'm still undecided, but I think I'm going to gamble on the Rigid. For a machine that will get only occasional use, the price makes sense. I would like to have the Jet, but I can't justify the $500.00 price tag. I appreciate your input. It has helped my decision.