Curtains for Woodshop
I'm just posting this particular one, because it's readily available through Wally World, but the world is full of different shades, colors, UV factors and every other variable in a stick on plastic, you can just stick to the window glass, peel it off, shake off the dust, and restick to use it again, or just let the dust go. Your shop your rules......
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I used an old bed sheet. Cut it and sewed it on the machine to fit. Don't notice too much saw dust. The little bit of saw dust makes the sheet clean your eye glass lenses perfectly though. No streaks and shiny.
Laugh
40 foot tall bamboo keeps the sun out of my shop pretty well.....
VH07V  
You might consider some vertical blinds similar to this. They would be somewhat more costly than the old fashoned pull-down ones, but they would provide a bit more control over the amount of light that comes in. Controls allow twisting the slats just enough to block the direct rays without totally closing them. Since the slats are vertical, they would accumulate less dust. Also, the slats can be plastic so that they would be easy to clean.
(11-02-2017, 10:57 PM)Steve N Wrote: I'm just posting this particular one, because it's readily available through Wally World, but the world is full of different shades, colors, UV factors and every other variable in a stick on plastic, you can just stick to the window glass, peel it off, shake off the dust, and restick to use it again, or just let the dust go. Your shop your rules......
Big Grin

Yes.  This is the right idea.  As he said, he was just posting that one to give the general direction; I would use one that does exactly what you said you wanted.   Lets in light but controls heating by product.

3M film   is one brand.
(edit: I think one of our forum members works for 3M and may be able to give more information)

I consult with schools to try to conserve energy and we often try to balance the benefits of using natural light versus trying to mitigate glare and solar gain during our air conditioning season.  We usually can gain enough advantage by using slatted blinds and position the slats to reflect the light upwards towards a white ceiling.  But you have the variable of signficant dust. 

Filtered films may be the key, then.  As sunlight enters  a room at various wavlengths it is absorbed by objects and some is re-emitted in the heat wavelengths.  The 3M filters reflect certain wavelengths which allows most of the visible band of wavelengths through and reduces the amount of wavelenghs that will be converted to infrared.. The best of both worlds.
If you're concerned about the window radiating heat, the best way is to shade the window from the outside.

Making a nice wooden screen with shade cloth (sometimes double it up) to hang over the outside will shade the window and frame and stop most of the heat, then it can be removed when you want the sunlight.
If additional heat gain were his only concern the best solution would be to remove the window and fill with a well insulated panel with a reflective coating.  But in his post he mentioned he likes the advantage of natural sunlight, but dislikes the increase in temperature from the solar gain (my paraphrase).

While blocking all light frequencies from entering helps reduce solar gain it does so at the expense of losing the benefits of natural lighting.

I do not understand the physics of transparency and opacity of glass at the atomic level wrt the various wavelengths of the electro-magnetic spectrum, but I am led to believe various substances can be made that can significantly increase the reflectivity of those wavelengths that  transmit heat (infrared?) and those wavelengths that can be re-emitted as heat after absorbtion; while being transparent to much of the visible light.
Low e-glass is now a staple in new construction.  It sounds like the opening poster does not benefit from that.  An inexpensive retrofit still seems like a better solution to keep the advantage of natural lighting.  Indeed, they make film that is removable.  He could install in the summer and remove in the winter  to enjoy the advantage of solar gain in the heating season  to save even more energy.
This article talks about the films I was mentioning. There is Low E, and also light blocking, or room darkening but pretty much anything you want to do there are films available for it. I see them at window, drapery, and paint suppliers all the time. Probably would be the kind of buy you would want to look at first, but if you find something looking, nothing says you can't check the internet to see if it costs less. I just think any kind of drape, or blind, especially made of cloth just increases odds of a fire, or even spontaneous combustion. It's like asking what can I do to make these drapes more flammable, the smart guy says I dunno, maybe sprinkle some sawdust on them.........
Rolleyes
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
You may want to consider solar screens on the outside of your windows.