New main line to my house from the meter
Wondering what material pipe to go with.  I have heard copper is not the best in this area because of soil acidity and water mineral content.  I am right next to a salt marsh.

I assume there is nothing wrong with using solvent welded PVC underground since that is standard practice for irrigation systems around here.

I'm going to go with 1" I think.  My water needs are not high.  It is just my wife and I and two dogs.  We have a 40 gallon water heater and it is plenty.  Low water washer and dryer and dishwasher.

Here is the water quality report that is published on the city's website.  I cannot seem to find pH level though.

http://sales8978.wixsite.com/water-quali...annah-main
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
Our last house had a 1" PVC, mostly (I guess) because we were about 500' from the meter at the street. It had been built in 1991, and still hasn't had any problems...I wouldn't be afraid to use it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-02-2017, 12:48 PM)Axehandle Wrote: Wondering what material pipe to go with.  I have heard copper is not the best in this area because of soil acidity and water mineral content.  I am right next to a salt marsh.

I assume there is nothing wrong with using solvent welded PVC underground since that is standard practice for irrigation systems around here.

I'm going to go with 1" I think.  My water needs are not high.  It is just my wife and I and two dogs.  We have a 40 gallon water heater and it is plenty.  Low water washer and dryer and dishwasher.

Here is the water quality report that is published on the city's website.  I cannot seem to find pH level though.

Depending on the distance, you might want to consider a continuous coil of Pex to reduce the number of joints and points of leakage...bedded in proper backfill...
It will be 40-50 feet underground. Not too far. I can get 20 ft sticks at the plumbing supply place.

I've heard PEX is for indoor only. Is it rated for burial?

What would be proper backfill? Soil here is sandy. Would clean native fill dirt work?
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
(11-02-2017, 01:53 PM)Axehandle Wrote: It will be 40-50 feet underground.  Not too far. I can get 20 ft sticks at the plumbing supply place.  

I've heard PEX is for indoor only.  Is it rated for burial?

What would be proper backfill?  Soil here is sandy. Would clean native fill dirt work?

I am by no means an expert, but to me less joints means less opportunity for failure...

http://blog.supplyhouse.com/direct-buria...ex-tubing/

It may up to your local jurisdiction (or local water company) to make the final determination.

Proper bedding means free of rocks and sharp objects...a sandy soil should be pretty good (IMHO)
Just buy a roll of black polyethylene pipe. The same stuff used for well service. The Borgs sell a thinwall pipe. Go to a plumbing supplier and buy the thick walled pipe. You'll need to heat the pipe to insert the fittings, unless you're a lot stronger than I am. A blow drier will work, be careful with a heat gun as it can overheat it. Don't skimp with plated fittings, Buy stainless or brass.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

Read about that.  That is what I used as supply line from my house out to my garage.  I have not hooked that up yet though.  Just ran the polyethylene pipe through conduit. 

Should I run this through conduit as well even if it is the thicker stuff?

My HD sells a 250psi rated PE pipe. NSF is the code. I think that is as thick as they come.
(11-02-2017, 06:04 PM)Axehandle Wrote: Read about that.  That is what I used as supply line from my house out to my garage.  I have not hooked that up yet though.  Just ran the polyethylene pipe through conduit. 

I read something this afternoon that recommended NOT going thru conduit...That movement as a result of pressure changes (below grade temp fluctuations should be minimal) can cause "chafing" and premature failure of the plastic water line. Seemed like a no brainer to me, until I read that post...
(11-02-2017, 06:04 PM)Axehandle Wrote: Read about that.  That is what I used as supply line from my house out to my garage.  I have not hooked that up yet though.  Just ran the polyethylene pipe through conduit. 

My HD sells a 250psi rated PE pipe. NSF is the code.  I think that is as thick as they come.

No, no reason to run it through conduit. Generally, you want to keep the bottom of the trench fairly flat and pull out the big rocks from the backfill until the pipe is covered with dirt to protect it. Then push the rocks back in.

I don't know about the HD pipe. Maybe HD has thick and thin walled. They only had the thin stuff when I did it. My next door neighbor was a plumber and he cautioned me against using it.

It's a bear to roll out straight. Neighbor came over and wrapped one end in foil, poked a hole in it and stuck it in his tailpipe. It unrolled nicely after that. I think it was about a 150ft run.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(11-02-2017, 12:48 PM)Axehandle Wrote: Wondering what material pipe to go with.  I have heard copper is not the best in this area because of soil acidity and water mineral content.  I am right next to a salt marsh.

If you decide to go with copper get a roll of soft copper in K it will probably outlive you and no joints under ground as it comes in a 75' roll
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.