Grex pin nailer stopped working
I was using it yesterday - thing has been flawless for years.  I was 90% done with it yesterday when it stopped working -- just makes a thump sound when you pull the trigger - like air but nothing comes out.  (not its normal sound)  Checked and its clear - no stuck pins or anything.

Plenty of air pressure.  I did notice the air coming out of the compressor yesterday was very wet.  

Anything I can check or do?  I hate to have to replace it

Thanks

Robert
(11-03-2017, 11:22 AM)Wipedout Wrote: I was using it yesterday - thing has been flawless for years.  I was 90% done with it yesterday when it stopped working -- just makes a thump sound when you pull the trigger - like air but nothing comes out.  (not its normal sound)  Checked and its clear - no stuck pins or anything.

Plenty of air pressure.  I did notice the air coming out of the compressor yesterday was very wet.  

Anything I can check or do?  I hate to have to replace it

Thanks

Robert

No suggestions?
I've rebuilt several of my nailers, usually just needs a new o ring.  Easy peasy.
"Oh. Um, l-- look, i-- i-- if we built this large wooden badger" ~ Sir Bedevere
How old? Used a lot?  Usually this is a sign for a rebuild kit.

Is the driver down or up?

Pull the head and check the plunger rings as suggested.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Just a simple stupid first step before tearing it open. Is it sufficiently oiled? My Grex isn't worth a hoot if it is even close to dry. Salesguy/area rep said to keep the oil really lean, as he said to use it, it will hardly fire short, or longer pins. Moist, and it shoots anything, just fine.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(11-03-2017, 04:28 PM)Steve N Wrote: Just a simple stupid first step before tearing it open. Is it sufficiently oiled? My Grex isn't worth a hoot if it is even close to dry. Salesguy/area rep said to keep the oil really lean, as he said to use it, it will hardly fire short, or longer pins. Moist, and it shoots anything, just fine.

+1  that was my first thought has it been oiled regularly?  Was it oiled recently?
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
(11-03-2017, 08:01 PM)Just_Dave Wrote: +1  that was my first thought has it been oiled regularly?  Was it oiled recently?

Yes it was.  Of course this is the first time I used it since loaning it out .......
(11-04-2017, 09:29 AM)Wipedout Wrote: Of course this is the first time I used it since loaning it out .......

OUCH!!!!!!!!!

I hate to sound like a jerk, but if you can bring your job to my place "we" can work on it, is the only way I roll now. Unfortunately too many wounded warriors returning after someone who didn't understand, care, own, or whatever, just beat the crap out of my tools. If the job HAS to be at their place, I just say you know the rental place can fix you up, heck they can even sell ya nails/pins.....

I hope it isn't too expensive, or troublesome to fix it up.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(11-04-2017, 01:30 PM)Steve N Wrote: OUCH!!!!!!!!!

I hate to sound like a jerk, but if you can bring your job to my place "we" can work on it, is the only way I roll now. Unfortunately too many wounded warriors returning after someone who didn't understand, care, own, or whatever, just beat the crap out of my tools. If the job HAS to be at their place, I just say you know the rental place can fix you up, heck they can even sell ya nails/pins.....

I hope it isn't too expensive, or troublesome to fix it up.

Yeah I hear ya Steve. I almost never loan out anymore. I broke my rule trying to be nice because of Hurricane Harvey ....
WD40 the moving parts.

Then get a filter/water trap for the air.