bureaucratic monkey wrench thrown in shop plans
(11-10-2017, 09:25 AM)Dave Mc Wrote: Yet it's likely you live under worse tyranny with city/township/zoning rules than most HOA's. I don't get it.

Every time I read one of these threads I thank god I live where I do.

There is two sides to the issue.  I've lived in 4 states. The difference is NJ certainly has land use ordinances, which allows for certain development that is residential, ag, commercial and industrial.  My last experience was in NC.  Outside of metro areas, you could build a nice house, outbuildings, and next door someone could put in a fat rendering plant, or a pig farm, or whatever; zero land use zoning, and I guess if that is what some call freedom, I call it inappropriate.  I chose, but was not happy, to live in a metro area.  But to counter the lack of zoning, there were deed restrictions establishing HOAs which imposed their own rules, which in many cases are totally arbitrary and nonsensical. In NJ I know that my residence will remain intact with adjacent uses that are not noxious.  NJ, as one of the most densely populated areas of the country, admittedly does have a lot of rules.  But I live in an area that is pretty much rural, I have a buffalo farm a mile down the road, I live adjacent to state forest lands, and the local municipality has "open space" areas that are dedicated to farming, the property owners, after getting paid, deed restrict their property against subdivision and commercial/industrial uses which keeps it in ag uses.  Believe it or not, NJ has a lot of ag, dairy, livestock, and vegetable farming, my in-laws were vegetable farmers with a retail stand.  My county still has an agricultural fair, 4H is still alive and doing well in my area, I go to the fair every year to see the animals.  So its not just oil refineries along the Turnpike.  It really depends on where you live.  Essex, Bergen, Union, Middlesex counties, I wouldn't live there, too congested.

That being said, HOAs in my view have run amuck.  My sister in law can't plant flowers in her front yard without getting approval, nor put up birdhouses, or birdbaths.  Paint colors have to be approved.  The list is endless.  That, to me, is tyranny.   So, title to any property I own is "fee simple absolute."
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-09-2017, 07:49 PM)Bob10 Wrote: "I would bet girdling is more apt to get blown over on to someone with a direct line back to the person that created the dangerous situation."

==it happens no reason to let it get all over you

Says the man that cuts roots off that hold a tree up so it will die and fall over.

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

This reminds me of the guy that lives in a mansion across the street from Lake Michigan, that kept asking the city of Milwaukee to remove trees in the way of his view of the park, and the lake.

They never would. So he did.

The city make a big fuss and there was plenty of newspaper coverage of this priveledged guy. The city kept talking about how repairing the damage could run into six figures and this guy would have to pay.

Turns out the guy’s deed included very old copies of paperwork that showed the land being taken by the city, with the city agreeing to make sure the property would be kept clear of trees.
(11-10-2017, 06:16 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Says the man that cuts roots off that hold a tree up so it will die and fall over.

Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh
Winkgrin

I admitted that and that I was 14 yet had the presence of mind to make sure the root cut would let it fall our way.  I am not sure how the rest of the country is with regard to front yards but here people make them pretty but really never spend any time in them.  So if the tree fell towards the house there was very little chance of anyone being hurt.  Once the tree was gone a tall fence went up to make the yard private so we could enjoy the space
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(11-10-2017, 06:01 PM)Admiral Wrote:   Outside of metro areas, you could build a nice house, outbuildings, and next door someone could put in a fat rendering plant, or a pig farm, or whatever; zero land use zoning, and I guess if that is what some call freedom, I call it inappropriate.

You'll have to define what 'outside a metro area' means.  I live in NC.  I don't live in a metro area, and I can't put in a hog rendering plant or a pig farm on my land, even if I wanted to.  If you choose to live 40 or 50 minutes out in the sticks, then you're probably right.  However, there are lots of places in NC that aren't subject to city or HOA regulation where you can't do what you describe.   I'm guessing there are lots of states where that's true, not just NC.
(11-10-2017, 06:01 PM)Admiral Wrote: There is two sides to the issue.  I've lived in 4 states. The difference is NJ certainly has land use ordinances, which allows for certain development that is residential, ag, commercial and industrial.  My last experience was in NC.  Outside of metro areas, you could build a nice house, outbuildings, and next door someone could put in a fat rendering plant, or a pig farm, or whatever; zero land use zoning, and I guess if that is what some call freedom, I call it inappropriate. 
If you invade the countryside, you'd best check out what is in the countryside, before you build.
The countryside *is* where people put hog farms, and cattle ranches, and turkey farms.
They raise them there, so *you* have them available to eat.
Winkgrin
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Link to update:  https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...id=7334739

Cool
Cool
Cool
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)