Par For The Course
on anything I try to do of a mechanical nature.  I attempted to change out a starter on my generator.  I figured the average person would take half an hour which meant it would take me at least 1.  I got the old one out, after 45 minutes of trying to get the second bolt installed in the new one I decided I needed more tools.  I won't bore with the gory details, but I decided I needed a magnet to hold the bolt (I couldn't find mine) and a ratcheting box wrench (I had none) to get behind the gear on the starter to get the bolt in.  There was no room for a socket wrench, even an angled one.  The mounting plate for the starter had one hole about half way behind the shaft on the gear.  

So I went to get a couple more tools.  When I got home I decided to double-check the new starter.  The end of the shaft was slightly different than the old one, but the gears seemed to be the same.  I counted the teeth on the gears, they weren't the same.  
Upset  It took another 30 minutes to figure out what the correct part was, from a different vendor than the one who sold me the wrong one.  So, about 3 hours to do nothing.  One plus is I didn't install the wrong one and wreck something.  Another is the starter that's coming I hope will have more clearance.
I hate getting the wrong part

As for the wrench google “starter wrench”. eBay has a selection. Mine is over 40 years old. Don’t use it much, but when you need it, you need it

The absolute worst part of being a mechanic is trying to get the correct replacement part---be it from a dealer, independent brick and mortar parts supplier, salvage yard, or mail order.

Wish I had a dollar for every time I put the broken/non operational part on the counter and got the wrong replacement. Putting the two side by side and pointing out the obvious discrepancies often got a reply of "That's what the computer says." or "That will fit."

That problem crosses over into home repair/remodeling as well. Drives me up a wall.
Its not by chance a Briggs and Stratton twin is it?  Vanguard specifically.

Those have starters that are easy to get out but quite a pain to put back in if you don't have much working room which you usually don't.  If you can take the front shroud off the engine that makes it loads easier but probably the same amount of time either way around.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
That gen set doesn't like you.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

(11-03-2017, 03:55 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: The absolute worst part of being a mechanic is trying to get the correct replacement part---be it from a dealer, independent brick and mortar parts supplier, salvage yard, or mail order.

Wish I had a dollar for every time I put the broken/non operational part on the counter and got the wrong replacement. Putting the two side by side and pointing out the obvious discrepancies often got a reply of "That's what the computer says." or "That will fit."

That problem crosses over into home repair/remodeling as well. Drives me up a wall.

I used to walk in and find a new counter guy.
*Give me a box of Chevrolet points and condensers*.
What year? says the counter guy.
*Doesn't matter, just get a box*.
I can't find them without a year.
*Their all the same for a V-8, unless you get the ones that have the condenser mounted*.

Oh.........I'll go look.
Rolleyes
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-03-2017, 02:34 PM)goaliedad Wrote: I hate getting the wrong part

As for the wrench google “starter wrench”. eBay has a selection. Mine is over 40 years old. Don’t use it much, but when you need it, you need it

I'm not sure that would do it, no room to move the wrench to turn the bolt.  The good news is the -correct- part the interference isn't as bad so I -think- I can get the bolt straight in with my socket set.   

(11-03-2017, 06:12 PM)blackhat Wrote: That gen set doesn't like you.

Well... this is me possibly over-reacting.  On my mower I wouldn't be replacing the starter yet, I'd just hit it with a wrench before I started it. Also, if I started the generator every month it -probably- would be ok, but....
Put the bolt in before mounting the starter- problem solved.   
Razz

Actually it sounds like a good place for a stud bolt, then you just need to install the nut. Sometimes that makes it easier- sometimes not.