Desmond Stephan WW Vise
I acquired this vise from S&S a while back and finally got around to working on it. It has a few paint spatters and a missing dog.

[Image: DSCN4400.jpg]

Removing the paint was pretty easy but the dog started with a bar of 1/4" steel.

[Image: DSCN4403.jpg]

I cut it to size, ground it to its final shape, and tapped it for a bolt. It is going to be a nice dog because it is 1/4" thick and 3/4" wide. That should hold projects effectively.

[Image: DSCN4408.jpg]

There were a few boogers in the slot but I was able to file some and use the Dremel on others. Finally the dog moved freely.

[Image: DSCN4416.jpg]

Next step is to paint the bolt and make some hickory faces for the vise. It's all downhill from here.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
Jim, nice looking vise, and nice work on restoration.  I have switched from iron to a scrap of cocobolo for the dog on my bench vise. I haven't hit it with a plane blade or a chisel yet, but think it will be less traumatic to the blade when I do.
(11-04-2017, 01:01 PM)barryvabeach Wrote: Jim, nice looking vise, and nice work on restoration.  I have switched from iron to a scrap of cocobolo for the dog on my bench vise. I haven't hit it with a plane blade or a chisel yet, but think it will be less traumatic to the blade when I do.

Nice vise.  Your vise face can simply have a 3/4" hole at the top that holds a brass dog.  Slide the dog up or down as needed and remove it when not in use.  Make sure the dog lines up with your dog holes.  If it has to be off-center in the vise it's no biggie.  The tension of the vise on your work piece is pretty low to avoid bowing anyway.
Update

Now it has a pair of 10" hickory jaws.

[Image: DSCN4436.jpg]
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com