Delta Jointer
There is a jointer for sale in my area for $625 Canadian ($500 USD). It is a Delta 37-866X. It is in an unopened box and comes with a mobile base. It works for my budget. Any thoughts on this particular model and the deal in general? Thanks in advance.
Not sure why you would want to buy a product from a company that is on the downslide??  I am a Delta fan.....  Unisaw, Dust collector, air filter, 12" mitersaw, wood lathe, benchtop planer, jointer... would have to think twice now.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I wouldn't pay $500 for a used(new but no warranty) 6"  jointer in the US.  It is Delta so there is a parts issue if you have any problems.  I know it is Canada so YMMV.  I have purchased tools with broken/bent/missing parts straight out of the box
"There is no such thing as stupid questions, just stupid people"
(11-04-2017, 12:10 PM)LarryWilson Wrote: There is a jointer for sale in my area for $625 Canadian ($500 USD). It is a Delta 37-866X. It is in an unopened box and comes with a mobile base. It works for my budget. Any thoughts on this particular model and the deal in general? Thanks in advance.

Quite possibly a Delta-Canada model and I'm not sure they even exist anymore.
Sad
One day, Chuck Norris ordered two pizzas to go.  They went.
First, understand that it is an "orphan" that is no longer made or supported by Delta.

The good news is that it's a proven design and jointers don't need a lot of parts.  I've got an older Delta 8" and found some parts for it on eBay.  ereplacments.com also has parts for it.

If you're just looking at hobbiest level use I'd jump on it but I'd try to get the price down some more.

And a careful inspection is strongly suggested before pickup -- there could be missing parts and that would lead to more headaches and expense.

Good luck!
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
well thanks for talking me out of the 6" jointer. Today a used DJ-20 popped up for $1050 Canadian. He is delivering it today. I am so stoked! Yippee!
(11-10-2017, 05:44 PM)LarryWilson Wrote: well thanks for talking me out of the 6" jointer. Today a used DJ-20 popped up for $1050 Canadian. He is delivering it today. I am so stoked! Yippee!

Now start saving for a Byrd Shelix head.  Smooth and quiet, no pesky blade sharpening, etc etc.
Wink

And congratulations on a really neat upgrade!
Cool
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
Congrats...it's a lifetime jointer.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
You will be happy you took a moment to think about the boxed unit. Things do happen for a reason.
Big Grin

Congrats, even got it delivered, heck thats a gloat in itself......
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW