looking for the quietest shop vac
There are alternatives.  Besides the Fein and Bosch vacs, there is the Nilfisk.  I bought one about two years ago for around 300 and change and it has the switched outlet and the right sized hose.  It also comes with some quality attachments, which I understand are lacking on some of the others.  It can use bags or just the filter and you can regulate the suction at the hose end.  I've used it with both a festool and bosch sander and it works great. 

[Image: rqOOK7npvOghqb93cNy58_U-fkhF49CSVl52s77h...43-h989-no]

[Image: kGkgG8Sg6UIHQk-XiocbNAo3itnVynwvEQ6Q-FKI...19-h989-no]
Nilfisk is a very high quality product, we used some at work...very well made. Where did you get that?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
If you want a quiet vacuum it is going to cost. I have a Fine turbo II that is about 13 years old. The tool activated switch quit working but the vacuum is still a workhorse and it is still quiet. The new Fein vacs I have heard are not as good but I can’t say one way or another. My main tool vacuum is a Festool CT. They all have the same motor and CFM now so you just need to figure how much capacity you want to pay for with them. One thing I would highly recommend is a dust deputy separator if you are using these for general clean up or tools that produce a lot of dust. Bags can get expensive fast and you can’t just run down to Home Depot and get one. Finally my big dust hog is one of the big Rigid vacs from HD. It has loads of power and a large capacity but it is also a lot louder than my Fein or Festool vac. It has the quiet technology on it supposedly. While it is significantly quieter than a lot of other Shop vacs I have used I still wouldn’t call it quite. Hearing protection is probably still advisable when using it.
If you decide not to buy one of the expensive shop vacs, this comparison test from Garage Journal contains some useful information about the noise levels of the 14-gallon Ridgid WD1450 and the 12-gallon Craftsman 12006.

https://www.garagejournal.com/forum/show...p?t=226762
(11-05-2017, 07:58 AM)fixtureman Wrote: Fein is one of the best it also has a longer duty cycle than the others.  I can run my 2 Feins for 8 hours plus when I cnc 3D cuts

Fixt.

DT
(11-07-2017, 06:31 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Nilfisk is a very high quality product, we used some at work...very well made. Where did you get that?

Fred
 I ordered it offline from Sylvane.  At the time they had the best price.  Linky here: https://www.sylvane.com/vacuum-cleaners....&nidx=true

You can look at this thread from about a year ago, more pertinent discussions. https://www.forums.woodnet.net/showthrea...pid7344466