Handplane Identification (Another one)
Seems this topic is never ending but I have a hand plane that is very unique, at least to me.  I pulled out some of my hand plane purchases to tune and sharpen and this one threw me for a loop in two ways. 

1)When I started sanding down the messed up edge I found that it has a laminated blade. Oddly the lamination does not seem to be equally thick across the edge.

2)The blade has tapered thickness about 3/16 at the cutting edge down to 3/64 at the top

There are no markings on the plane body anywhere I can find. The handle screw may have an S on it but not sure if that is original. 

It is the same size as my Stanley Bailey No. 4. It has a corrugated sole and the front knob is slightly shorter. There is no screw for throat adjustment.

All help is greatly appreciated.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
I would speculate a Union or an Ohio, but I know somebody will follow with an exact ID!
Chris
Ohio Tool Co. ,or.....a Union Tool Co.   #3

Ohio Tool Co.   Like to use those style of irons.    The "handle bolt"  is not original.   Someone was trying to repair the rear handle.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
In my experience of dealing with old irons, a tapered and laminated iron is as good as it gets. I'll bet that will be a great user plane.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(11-05-2017, 01:06 PM)Eurekan Wrote: All help is greatly appreciated.

I'm thinking Ohio as well from both the lateral and the iron, usually there's marks on the iron and they were known for tapered irons early on; I think I've got one I was going to put in a Stanley but it needs the mouth relieved....that reminds me....

Anyway, the lamination will vary like that from iron to iron, you're only interested in the last 3/16ths anyway.  Nice find.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thank you for input. Based upon what you guys think these are I went out hunting for information. I think it is a Union hand plane based upon some of the design characteristics as shown in this article. 
TimeTestedTools 

I cannot determine the year from anything I've seen.
Was living the good retired life on the Lake. Now just living retired.
Union only made iron bodied planes up to 1920, then Stanley took over.   Look to the way the lateral lever is set up.   There were only about three "types" used by Union.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(11-05-2017, 01:06 PM)Eurekan Wrote: Seems this topic is never ending but I have a hand plane that is very unique, at least to me.  I pulled out some of my hand plane purchases to tune and sharpen and this one threw me for a loop in two ways. 

1)When I started sanding down the messed up edge I found that it has a laminated blade. Oddly the lamination does not seem to be equally thick across the edge.

2)The blade has tapered thickness about 3/16 at the cutting edge down to 3/64 at the top

There are no markings on the plane body anywhere I can find. The handle screw may have an S on it but not sure if that is original. 

It is the same size as my Stanley Bailey No. 4. It has a corrugated sole and the front knob is slightly shorter. There is no screw for throat adjustment.

All help is greatly appreciated.
I have an E.C. Simmons Keen Kutter with a blade like that..I think it was made by Ohio Tool..IIRC they also made tools for Hibbard, Spenser and Bartlett..
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Wasn't Siegley known for tapered blades?