Forstner Bits
Does anyone know if there is any difference between the Woodtek bit vs the no-name brand sold by URI tools on Amazon, beside the price?

Woodtek vs Generic
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(11-05-2017, 08:41 PM)Cecil Wrote: Does anyone know if there is any difference between the Woodtek bit vs the no-name brand sold by URI tools on Amazon, beside the price?

Woodtek vs Generic

I don’t know, but I bought these Freud carbide fostner bits 20 years ago and they are still going strong. Cheap is cheap when it comes to bits. 

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-FC-107-7-Pi...tner++bits
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
look just like those sold at HF for $39.   I bought my set from them in '06 or so and have used them quite a number of times over the years.   They have performed fine for me.

[Image: image_24219.jpg]
Cecil
I wonder if that cheaper set is not high speed steel if you look at the description it does not say high speed steel in the specs only in the title
The other set says high speed steel both in the title and the technical specs
If both are high speed steel then maybe there is not much difference other than price
that cheap set has a poor rating that in itself might tell you some thing
I have a set from lee valley they were not cheap but worth every cent buy once cry once is the way to go if you use them alot
If you only use them now and again the cheap ones might be ok
My 2 cents
(11-05-2017, 09:20 PM)oakey Wrote: Cecil
I wonder if that cheaper set is not high speed steel if you look at the description it does not say high speed steel in the specs only in the title
The other set says high speed steel both in the title and the technical  specs
If both are high speed steel then maybe there is not much difference other than price
I have a set from lee valley they were not cheap but worth every cent buy once cry once is the way to go if you use them alot
My 2 cents

The one with the low rating - only had one rating. I ignore ratings until there is a volume. The competition may dis them or they may hype themselves, so a small number of ratings is useless.

I bought a set from Hartville Tool, on close out, in 2010.  They look like that, TiN coated and all.  If they are the same, I will buy one for my son for Christmas.  The ones I bought from Hartville needed a touch up with a small diamond file, but other than that have been an OK set.  For any size I will use heavily, I will buy a single carbide bit myself.  

Basically I am looking for a middle of the road set for my son, so that he will have a full range of sizes.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
FWW had reviews a few years ago.  I just used a cheap set to cut a recess in ash for shouldered bolts.  They worked, clean cut, but got pretty warm after a few cuts.  I have considered getting a better set but I really don't use them that often.  I also thought about getting just the ones I use most often but it seems like I use them all so that strategy would not work.  I will just keep puttering along with the ones I have unless a need arises.
(11-05-2017, 09:20 PM)oakey Wrote: Cecil
The other set says high speed steel both in the title and the technical  specs
My 2 cents

I bought a set from Lee Valley as well,many years ago.They hold an edge very well and I have a guy who sharpens them when needed.I think they go from 1/8" to 2 1/8".

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
First, I would not buy any cutting tool from Asia that is not carbide or high-speed steel.  As for those coated bits on Amazon, I would stay clear.  They are not HSS and are very soft steel.  I don't know current pricing but I could have bought them from a factory in China years ago for $7 a set in decent quantity.
I bought the carbide tipped bits.  They worked fine.  But I only bought two of the sizes and others had issues.  And this is not something I can sharpen on my own.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(11-06-2017, 08:14 AM)Brian in sunny FL Wrote: First, I would not buy any cutting tool from Asia that is not carbide or high-speed steel.  As for those coated bits on Amazon, I would stay clear.  They are not HSS and are very soft steel.  I don't know current pricing but I could have bought them from a factory in China years ago for $7 a set in decent quantity.

Bears repeating.....

As does this comment from Admiral

"I don’t know, but I bought these Freud carbide fostner bits 20 years ago and they are still going strong. Cheap is cheap when it comes to bits."

I've used Fisch Carbide Forstners, and brad Points of HSS, and Carbide for several years, and they make an excellent hole the first time, and haven't given me an ounce of trouble since. I had some of those HF junkers, and they are not a good bit, poor splintery cuts every time.

John Economaki is the owner of Bridge city Tool Works, and he only deals in quality tooling. This link is his experience with Chinese drill bits.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW