Forstner Bits
I have the set like the one pictured above that was purchased from Grizzly (not by me.  I wanted the 7 piece HSS Freud set...)  I can say they have done the job for me but I am unimpressed with them.  The 1/4" was bent.  Random sizes are not even close to sharp.  I have touched a few up with a diamond file and they are better but still not great.
---------------------------------------------------
When something has to be done, no one knows how to do it.  When they "pay" you to do it, they become "experts".
(11-09-2017, 03:37 PM)Axehandle Wrote: I have the set like the one pictured above that was purchased from Grizzly (not by me.  I wanted the 7 piece HSS Freud set...)  I can say they have done the job for me but I am unimpressed with them.  The 1/4" was bent.  Random sizes are not even close to sharp.  I have touched a few up with a diamond file and they are better but still not great.

The Steelex gets decent reviews on Amazon, for a cheap set.  Roman Carbide gets OK reviews for a mid-range set. I am leaning toward the Roman Carbide.

Brian (holbren.com) sells the CMT and Amana, but I did not like the reviews I found on the CMT and the Amana is out of stock.
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(11-09-2017, 05:37 PM)Cecil Wrote: The Steelex gets decent reviews on Amazon, for a cheap set.  Roman Carbide gets OK reviews for a mid-range set. I am leaning toward the Roman Carbide.

Brian (holbren.com) sells  the CMT and Amana, but I did not like the reviews I found on the CMT and the Amana is out of stock.

I have 354 personally drilled 2" holes made in 2X6s with a CMT forstner bit that leads me to believe they are pretty good if you want real world info on them
Smile Maybe the reviewers have more holes drilled with theirs than that
No I cut a hole at each end of 177 2X6s that I bookcased between my shed posts.

I will also tell you each of those got 14 drills from the machine bit in a Kreg foreman and I have yet to change that drill out either - Kreg makes nice stuff!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I have a 16 piece HSS set I bought years ago at Woodcraft. These have worked well for occasional use. For all of my heavy use bits I have Freud carbide bits. The only complaint I have about the Freud bits is I wish the brad point in the center of the bit was a little longer. If you are using an awe to locate a center point it is really easy to mek the start point to big and have the bit try to run away when you start.
(11-10-2017, 08:30 AM)BloomingtonMike Wrote: I have 354 personally drilled 2" holes made in 2X6s with a CMT forstner bit that leads me to believe they are pretty good if you want real world info on them
Smile Maybe the reviewers have more holes drilled with theirs than that
No I cut a hole at each end of 177 2X6s that I bookcased between my shed posts.

I will also tell you each of those got 14 drills from the machine bit in a Kreg foreman and I have yet to change that drill out either - Kreg makes nice stuff!

McFeely's site states "CMT resharpens top quality imported bits in their own Italian factory."  I also see this statement elsewhere.  I do not see that they resharpen "new" bits. The reviews that I saw line up with what you said.  Some bits work great!  Some reviews also point to an issue with the bit size being "close."
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
(11-10-2017, 04:04 PM)Cecil Wrote: Some reviews also point to an issue with the bit size being "close."

I'll bet you $$$$$ that if you hunt that down what you will find are Metric bits being sold as US equivalent, and Vice Versa. It would always fall to the new owner to carefully measure what size hole to expect from any bit, then for them using, making, or buying, stock of that size so it will result in everything fitting just right. Even on TS blades from top manufacturers, saw a kerf and measure it before believing it is what they say it is. You will be surprised by the number of times you won't match the description, but will match the description had it been to the closest metric equivalent.
Wink
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(11-11-2017, 12:20 PM)Steve N Wrote: I'll bet you $$$$$ that if you hunt that down what you will find are Metric bits being sold as US equivalent, and Vice Versa. It would always fall to the new owner to carefully measure what size hole to expect from any bit, then for them using, making, or buying, stock of that size so it will result in everything fitting just right. Even on TS blades from top manufacturers, saw a kerf and measure it before believing it is what they say it is. You will be surprised by the number of times you won't match the description, but will match the description had it been to the closest metric equivalent.  
Wink

Which raises the question of why the US is still clinging to imperial measurement.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Dunno, but I haven't heard a big push for metric in about 20 years, seems we are staying put. It's what I know so I don't mind that. I can hint at equivalent sizes, but to be sure I need to verify it with a Google, or a chart. For a young kid learning 10's and 100's sounds a lot easier than Imperial, old farts like me, not so much.
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(11-05-2017, 09:15 PM)Mike in kc Wrote: look just like those sold at HF for $39.   I bought my set from them in '06 or so and have used them quite a number of times over the years.   They have performed fine for me.

[Image: image_24219.jpg]

Those are not Forstners--they are multi-spur bits.
Wood is good. 
(11-05-2017, 10:46 PM)Cecil Wrote: The one with the low rating - only had one rating.  I ignore ratings until there is a volume.  The competition may dis them or they may hype themselves, so a small number of ratings is useless.

I bought a set from Hartville Tool, on close out, in 2010.  They look like that, TiN coated and all.  If they are the same, I will buy one for my son for Christmas.  The ones I bought from Hartville needed a touch up with a small diamond file, but other than that have been an OK set.  For any size I will use heavily, I will buy a single carbide bit myself.  

Basically I am looking for a middle of the road set for my son, so that he will have a full range of sizes.

Maybe start with a less expensive set and replace the ones that get a lot of use (get dull quick) with better HSS or Carbide? I have a set of no-name Forstner bits that I can't even recall where I bought them - Maybe MLCS? I use them infrequently and on domestic woods but they're better than not having any Forstner bits.