Talk about cool-looking Vises . . .
While I'm using the ugliest vise and bench there is, lately I kept seeing tempting stuff on the web.

This is pretty snazzy-looking; not sure if it's exactly the same as the workholding vise used in the HNT Gordon plane-build videos:
https://www.hntgordon.com.au/bench-vices...-vice.html

Chris
Chris
Rather pricey, at $550 AU = $422.40 US.  Makes Benchcrafted vises look rather affordable.  The most expensive Benchcrafted tail vise is $369 US.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
At that price, a dog needs to be included. ... Did I read aluminum?
(11-06-2017, 05:45 PM)hbmcc Wrote: At that price, a dog needs to be included. ... Did I read aluminum?

At that price, a big dog needs to be included.  A Newfoundland, at least; or a Great Pyrenees.
Looks nice. I am glad someone is working on wood vise technology. I think the last big advances were 100 years ago with the advent of quick release.
===---===---===---===---===---===---===---===---
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
I know I'm an abuser of vises, but it looks to me that the main think keeping it from being bent into a pretzel is an under-sized handle and narrow face.  Seems like there is a lot of potential for unbalanced moments
(11-06-2017, 11:42 PM)EricU Wrote: I know I'm an abuser of vises, but it looks to me that the main think keeping it from being bent into a pretzel is an under-sized handle and narrow face.  Seems like there is a lot of potential for unbalanced moments

It looks like an end vise and would have a large wooden face attached. I am not a fan of the tiny crank either. I think their anti-racking claim is a little overblown because racking is the result of the laws of physics. But careful machining tolerance could significantly REDUCE racking as far as the mechanism is concerned.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
It opens less than 6 inches, adding a wood face would severely limit its use....

-- mos maiorum
(11-07-2017, 10:46 AM)Adnick Wrote: It opens less than 6 inches, adding a wood face would severely limit its use....

Well that really restricts its use. I guess I am missing the point. Maybe they need to add pictures of the vise in action so we can see how they intended it to be used.
Please visit my website
splintermaking.com
(11-07-2017, 10:56 AM)JimReed@Tallahassee Wrote: Well that really restricts its use. I guess I am missing the point. Maybe they need to add pictures of the vise in action so we can see how they intended it to be used.

Some time ago Terry Gordon's nice planemaking video went around, and a few people asked about his vise shown through the middle minutes of it:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uSvg6Wq0T-8

It looks like he not only used it in the form now for sale, but also had some auxiliary jaws and an auxiliary pivot fixture, which were probably what really created the comments buzz on the video at the time.   Anyway, it looks mighty stout.

If you want a tail vise, he has that as well (has been around for a while):
https://www.hntgordon.com.au/bench-vices...h-dog.html

I think he has established quite the moneyed clientele, so he'll sell a few of these guys.
Chris