Bandsaw Box Blade Size?
What size blades are the best for cutting bandsaw boxes? Is a 3/16 4TPI the
best all around size to use. I have never made a box before and plan on
trying my hand at it and have seen a few people say they use this size. What
is everyone using or recommending for a all around blade size.

Thanks
I'm using a 3/16 10TPI. Still cuts fairly quickly and I have less sanding to do.
I use a 3/16 14TPI Rake blade, for less sanding. I also have a washer for laying out an easy curve for the blade, on corners I don't want to cut any tighter. The easier you can cut a corner and keep the blade moving the better.
a 10tpi rake would be about the same but a little faster. The hardest part of BS boxes is the sanding. better have a spindle sander
Laugh
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
(11-08-2017, 09:04 AM)Lucky Irish Wrote: I'm using a 3/16 10TPI. Still cuts fairly quickly and I have less sanding to do.

Thats what I have used in the past. Olsen blade.

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
Thanks guys for your recommendations and tips.
I recently got into creating power saw boxes when obtaining the Ventura book concerning them Building stunning Boxes along with your Bandsaw. Her recommendation concerning blades reasonably flies within the face of standard power saw knowledge, however, she recommends a 3/16" ten tpi blade. i do not skills, however, it's worked well on behalf of me. The one i am exploitation is by Starrett, sold at Woodcraft, among alternative places.

I tried another blade, 3"16" 3/4 tpi, that worked fine apart from the lot of rougher cut, which suggests plenty a lot of sanding.

She claims in her book that you simply will use that very same ten tpi blade for the straight cuts (slicing off the rear and also the drawer sides), however, I did not attempt that. simply used a similar 1/2" three tpi blade that I take advantage of for resawing for those cuts.

Edit: Here's one out of canary wood that I finished recently.
You guys don't find that high of a tooth count loads up and overheats on such a thick block of wood?
Benny

(11-08-2017, 09:45 AM)Woodshop Wrote: I use a 3/16 14TPI Rake blade, for less sanding. I also have a washer for laying out an easy curve for the blade, on corners I don't want to cut any tighter. The easier you can cut a corner and keep the blade moving the better.
a 10tpi rake would be about the same but a little faster. The hardest part of BS boxes is the sanding. better have a spindle sander
Laugh
 Woodshop, I am having a hard time finding a 3/16 14TPI Rake blade. Where are you buying them? I need one that is 111'' long.... Or even a 10TPI
(12-03-2017, 08:03 PM)fall Wrote:  Woodshop, I am having a hard time finding a 3/16 14TPI Rake blade. Where are you buying them? I need one that is 111'' long.... Or even a 10TPI

A WoodNeter recommended this guy to me years ago, and I have been getting all my blades from him. very good blades
Yes and never had a single one break at the joint like from other places.    Woodcraft Bands Inc
Don's woodshop
(11-16-2017, 11:03 AM)bennybmn Wrote: You guys don't find that high of a tooth count loads up and overheats on such a thick block of wood?

yes they can,  especially soft woods. for dry wood only, This is why a rake blade is best. I buy blades for a particular job and don't expect it to last allot beyond 3-4 intricate boxes. don't get me wrong they will still cut miles after that but not a 4" bandsaw box with tight corners, unless you don't mind some runoff on the bottom side . when doing bandsaw boxes you need the put a new blade on and tune up you saw perfectly, then you'll be a happy box maker
Yes
14TPI is really pushing it but it's what I like. most would go with 10. and there is not much difference. I ran out of 10 and had a 14, I put it on and it worked about the same but a bit smoother, been using them ever since.
mind you I have 2 bandsaws . 17" for resaw has a 3tpi skip tooth x3/4 and my 14" with this scroll work blade on it. life is good.
Don's woodshop