working from home shop
(11-07-2017, 07:32 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: I make a living out of my shop. Something I found out early is to not take commissions for things I know I don’t want to build. I build period reproduction furniture. Early on I took commissions for other styles of furniture too simply because I needed the work. I found that if I was working on contemporary furniture I was just miserable. My heart simply wasn’t in it. As I became more established I quit taking anything that wasn’t a period piece. Also as others have said don’t give away your time.  You should start by figuring just custom furniture makers charge $65-$100 an hour. If you are fast then $100 an hour, if you are slow, well, it will depend how slow. You can obviously only charge so much for a piece before you price yourself out of the market. Your final hourly rate will be determined by what you decide to build. Some work is more lucrative than others. Do yourself a favor and shop around at some furniture and craft shows to see what the market is for what you make. I know when I first did this I was surprised. Good custom pieces bring a lot of money. It isn’t unrealistic to see a good philadelphia Highboy with a price tag similar to that of a nice 4 door sedan. I’m in my shop every day and still love what I do. I have been at it for about 10 years so it can be done. I also have two young boys (7 and 8) who get a great deal of enjoyment out of the shop too. On occasions I start to feel like I am burning out so I force my self to do something different for a few days. After a few day I’m back in the shop and feel great again.
It sounds like you are living the dream! Good for you!
Joseph Connors

The new Golden Rule .....
Those with the Gold make the rules!
This forum is specific to the topic and may contain some useful information.

http://lumberjocks.com/forums/5
A lot of it depends on the market you have to deal with. A woodworker I know said he would have to charge $4000 to build a certain chest of drawers. Where I live, folks expect to furnish their entire house for less than that. One of the more popular stores advertises a 7 piece living room ensemble for less than $500....and they apparently sell a lot of them. The second thing is people. I fervently believe that the customer is always right. I also believe I would never put up with the bullchit that you have to do to please many folks. So I won't be selling anything, now or ever. I do occasional pieces to donate to Habitat for resale, and I'll do flag cases for the local Veterans services office...beyond that I remained committed to the thought that the best way to make a small fortune by woodworking is to start with a large fortune.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
People often ask me to do something for them in the Shop.

I tell them to choose any two from - GOOD, FAST, CHEAP

They almost always choose GOOD and CHEAP.

When I clarify that they don't want FAST, they agree.

I point out that I have been working on the three story spiral staircase in my house for over 16 years.  That often changes the whole conversation.  
Laugh
Know Guns. Know Security. Know Freedom - - - No Guns. No Security. No Freedom

Guns are supposed to be dangerous. If yours is not dangerous you need to take it to a gunsmith and have it repaired.
Interesting discussion.  I make things for home and family first, then for several craft shops in the area.  I did do several pieces on commission for a local firm but did not make much money on that job.  I am too slow and make things with a hobby attitude, not as a business.  I have been asked by friends to 'make or fix things' since I have a shop.  One request was for doors on a chest that was flood damaged.  Warped, plywood delaminating, total junk.  I said I could not do it.  Another friend wanted me to fix a chair that had a clean broken chair leg.  Think butt joint.  Someone said just to glue it together.  I said there was no way it would ever hold up under use.  They tried to glue it themselves.  I saw the chair by the trash several weeks later with the broken leg laying on the ground.  So I do not accept repair jobs.

The things I make for the craft shops have what we call 'local pricing.'  Materials are relatively cheap here, and building keeps me occupied in retirement.  I cover expenses and have fun building these items.

Best of luck whatever direction you go.
I have been told several times that I should make items to sell. My shop is my escape and I work at my pace. Keep in mind if you work for someone, on a project...
Then as it is almost done, with hours of time and effort involved...
And they drop in and say... but I wanted... or start nit picking to renegotiate the price.
Where is the joy in that?

I give most of my stuff as gifts, donate to charity, or to widows or family of vets.
Now and then I sell a piece to fund shop restocking or add a tool. I price the piece, and if it doesn't sell, it's a Christmas gift later. Lol.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
this book
https://www.amazon.com/Woodworkers-Guide...b_title_bk

helped me a lot.
showed some underlying things i wasnt charging for. plus how to price my work and make doing the work enjoyable.
its not fun when im not making a wage i deserve and not making a profit
(11-07-2017, 09:56 AM)chizlr40 Wrote: hi all don't get on that often but I have a question. I am retiring in a couple of years and thought about doing some woodworking jobs to supplement my income but I am not sure. I have done some jobs for friends and stuff through the years but it was always at my own pace. didn't charge a lot, In fact probably undercharged. don't what to do to much but am afraid if I do more it will take the fun and enjoyment out of it. any opinions or experience. thank you for any replies.

One more comment.  I never make something and then try to sell it.  You have invested time and materials hoping someone you probably don't know will buy it for what you think it's worth. As one of our members related above, that mostly does not work unless you are serving a very specific market and have name recognition - aka Dave D.  Invariably, when it doesn't sell, you lower the price until eventually someone does buy it or you keep it or give it away.  Not much satisfaction or profit in that. 

I started by helping a couple of people replicate some molding and install it, or repair a set of stairs, or repair/refinish some furniture, and a few other fairly unique tasks I can't remember.  That put me in people's homes where they saw what I could do.  A few asked if I could do X-Y-Z and I usually said "Sure." even when I sometimes had no idea how to do it.  But I figured it out and we were both happy from the exchange.  Pretty soon they contacted me with other, larger projects, and some referred me to their friends.  Now that I have work coming to me I am getting a little more choosy. 

I like challenges so I purposely look for new things to do.  That keeps it interesting for me, having to solve problems and develop new skills.  However, it doesn't lead to efficiency or a high hourly wage.  I'm OK with that; I still often make really good money from a job.    

Whatever direction you take does not require a grand plan - but does require some plan. 

John
People think they should pay what they do at wallymart.  If you get over that hurdle, then there is the problem with making it the way they see it in their mind- color, size, proportions, finish............................. whether it is practical or not.

I let them see what I have already made and make it that way with minimal changes. I'll rarely do custom work for a hobby anymore because of the "Gosh- I thought it would more dark- It looks smaller- I don't like the edges- I see a mark- The finish is too shiny......................" 

If I were to do custom work for a living, then that would be a whole new set of rules for myself. Keep in touch with the customer step by step and approve various stages.

Otherwise, make a bunch of stuff and sell it as is.
Here's my take:

-- Do the zoning laws prohibit you from operating a home-based business?  Check this out as all it will take is one complaint from the neighborhood busy body/bodies and you will be dealing with the county/local ordinances.

-- Will your home owner's insurance cover/include a home-based business? 

-- Making items to sell, realistically examine the local market for competition and selling prices.

-- "Custom work"/one of a kind,  can you realistically price it to cover expenses and make a profit.

My experience is that most people have no real idea as to the time involved or cost of building/refurbishing an item. Once heard a guy say that kitchens are just profit for the builder as he's just building boxes.

Several guys I know wanted me to make them oak or walnut shooting range chests, ammunition boxes, etc., with solid brass hardware. They claimed they were not concerned about cost until I gave them an idea of the price of materials. Then, they had second thoughts. Same with my wife when she had a porcelain doll business. Customers wanted the glass eyes, good wigs/hair pieces, hand painted faces, quality material for hand made shoes and clothes, etc., but did not want to pay for it.