Jeff Miller Benchtop Bench
Derek, as I mentioned I made my bench 9 years ago, so I have plenty of experience using it! I cut dovetails just as I would using a face vise on a regular bench-I use a block plane to set/elevate the work above the chop. If you click on the link to the original article that the OP posted, you can see an image of how Jeff Miller is using it to cut dovetails.
I have a metal ww vise that I like, but the bench it's in has got to go.  I might put it on a small bench like this.  My dad had something similar, it was a bit larger though.  He just had it fastened to a couple of sawhorses.
There is a similar but different version of this on pg 96 of Fine Woodworking Tools and Shops Winter 2018. I was just reading it last night and disappointed that there was no mention of plans (that I could see). Don't know if I would use it or not, but it looks interesting. The one linked to here might be more to my skill level (and ambition) if I could figure out the screws for the vice.
Like Derek, I too, questioned the practicality/function of a "little bench" on the work bench. When the bench on bench question came up, I immediately thought, why when you could save space with a Moxon. 

But I see the advantage of various work that at some point in history--even now--were carried out on separate tables, and now expected to be completed on one bench, at one height, in the wrong position. After all, we build our "workbench" at a height best for planing. Well, sometimes I sit in a lawn chair and plane freehand. Some people may enjoy planing tooth picks from 2x4s but not me.

So, as nature intended, the love affair with one surface can now spawn a polygamous relationship with more legs to trip over; as soon as they get brave, finish budding and join the ground.
I made one back in 2010 about the same time the moxon vice was becoming popular. The space behind the vice allows additional work space when you want a elevated work surface. It also makes a small, but good portable bench when placed on a small table or work mate as here where I am doing a dovetail demo for a group

[Image: 2010_kyana_demo_mting_012.jpg]

[Image: DSC013152.JPG]

Just wish the handles weren't so long. The moxon wheels would be better.
(11-09-2017, 12:18 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: Derek, as I mentioned I made my bench 9 years ago, so I have plenty of experience using it! I cut dovetails just as I would using a face vise on a regular bench-I use a block plane to set/elevate the work above the chop. If you click on the link to the original article that the OP posted, you can see an image of how Jeff Miller is using it to cut dovetails.

Yours is basically identical to the one David Boeff uses. So you're in good company.
Wink
I made a small bench with vise years ago, based on Miller's bench on bench, using 1" diameter wooden screws cut from maple with a screwbox.  It is sometimes handy for tasks where I need to see what I'm working on better than I can on my workbench.  Many years later I also made a "Moxon" vise without the bench, also with wooden screws.  This is smaller and lighter, holds the work a bit lower, and gets used more.  It does not get the work as close to my eyes, but it's easier to bring the tools into play.

Clamping stock flat on top of the bench on bench is most useful for fine detail work on the faces of boards, like cutting recesses for inlay.  The Moxon is better for cutting dovetails, but requires another support.  

If you cut a block to a length equal to the thickness of the block plus the height of the Moxon, this is very convenient.  You hold the top edge of block flush with the top edge of the work, set that into the vise with the block on the top edge, and tighten the Moxon.  Now if you stand the block behind the vise, it's the right height to hold a board level on top of the work clamped in the vise.  This simple approach is learned from Mike Siemsen.

There's no need to use both screws at the same time.  Set one to the stock thickness, then you can open and close the vise with the other.
(11-08-2017, 09:44 AM)wjt Wrote: Only ones I can find now are these from Grizzly.

Shop Fox H2597 - Veneer Press Clamp

From what I have read they are iffy at best. I had a friend use them when he made the benchtop bench and he went through three pair before he got a set that was milled correctly.

Bill

Probably the best search terms would be Veneer Press or veneer press clamps, or hardware.

Is this the one you got from Griz? It looks a lot like the LV one except in white maybe ya just need to paint it black
Big Grin

They also have this one I got that looking at Moxon vise bench hardware.

195 bux for Moxon vise kit

Which is a direc rip of Jameel's Moxon kit from Benchcrafted Jameel's is awesome. I have this kit from day one, and for 10 bux less anyone snagging the one above, well it's crazy talk, that's what it is.

Adding Moxon hardware to the search will drastically open your search, some of the Moxon stuff will be more than a single screw with a mount, and a handle, but the Moxon stuff is made to work as two contacts, closing one set of jaws. You can easily turn the handles same same, or tighter to one side to entrap unusually shaped objects.

I had never seen this, Ultra  
Cool  It is similar to a Moxon, but without a bench a Moxon has little value. This thing is a bench with a vise, and could literally be used on a kitchen counter if need be. I will have to consider if I will take my Moxon apart and use my Benchcrafted hardware here, or just buy another set. I'm leaning that way. I know Jameel's stuff to be absolute quality made in the USA incredibleness. Crazy to spend a few bux less if there is an XYZ ripoff out there.

Nice post
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(11-09-2017, 11:10 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Hi Greg

I think that you will find that the chop will get chewed up when you transfer tails to pins (because the table is at the same height). I would like to hear your experience on this down the track. 

It's the reason I do not have a table and raise the work above the chop ...

[Image: ModsfortheMoxon_html_677cde63.jpg]

My apology if I am negative about the design you have chosen. As I said, I am interested in your experience once you have used it enough. I have cut several hundred or more dovetails on mine, and it is still like new.

Regards from Perth

Derek

For a guy like yourself who has a bench to utilize that with, yes it works as advertised. Now take it from your bench and use it. These small benches could be taken anywhere, use them off a trucks tailgate, a kitchen counter, any flat surface is now a hand tool shop, Bazinga, just like that.... Your only issue for full tool use would be stability once you started to plane a board. There are so many items non woodworking that can be used to hold things down, that really isn't an issue.. I'm thinking a cargo strap you can tighten would be the universal mount winner, but it could easily be done a number of ways.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW