Spalted / Wormy Maple
Question 
I am looking for a recommendation to help fill in some worm hole/tracks in my wormy spalted maple. I am making a couple of jewelry boxes and after assembling the box I am second guessing if customer will like the rustic feel that this wood has presented. I think the look will be very much accepted.  At this point I would like to level?? out the surface if possible. Is there any way to bring up these shallow voids to level? Thanks for your help. Norm
(11-08-2017, 01:47 PM)NORM ABRAHAM Wrote: I am looking for a recommendation to help fill in some worm hole/tracks in my wormy spalted maple. I am making a couple of jewelry boxes and after assembling the box I am second guessing if customer will like the rustic feel that this wood has presented. I think the look will be very much accepted.  At this point I would like to level?? out the surface if possible. Is there any way to bring up these shallow voids to level? Thanks for your help. Norm
I made a cherry table out of some wide boards that had some worm holes in them. I filled them with epoxy. The epoxy fills the holes and allows for a level finish, but it also preserves them. I think it looks pretty good. You might try consider something like that.
A picture would help, but simple fillers like coffee grounds (used or new) or herbal teas, or saw dust and CA glue are quick fixes. Just know anything you end up using could be very noticeable dealing with spalted wood. We can not see what you are dealing with but rustic look & feel very often just as acceptable.
Bill