Yorkcraft YC-15P planer
Good evening - I have a Yorkcraft 15" planer (YC-15P).  Wilke Machinery (where I bought it) is no longer in business although there is CW Wilke Machinery sales and service that may be the samne business.  I have sent them a message to see if they can answer my question.  In the meantime I thought I'd ask here as well.

I need to replace the knives and am looking for the specifications - I think they are 11/16" X 1/8" by 15" but am looking for confirmation.

Second question - I believe quite a few years ago there was information on Woodnet relating to this planer and gear box oil leaks.  Does anybody remeber that or have a source of that information?

Thanks
Rick

Rick,

If I’m not mistaken in, that is the cookie-cutter 15 inch four post planer that was sold under many different names such as grizzly, Powermatic, shop fox, jet, etc.

If so, just about every single part is interchangeable with grizzly, And you likely can use their manual as well. For the gearbox oil leak issue, a new gasket should do it. Gear oil only found at any local auto.
(11-08-2017, 06:47 PM)Rick_B Wrote: Good evening - I have a Yorkcraft 15" planer (YC-15P).  Wilke Machinery (where I bought it) is no longer in business although there is CW Wilke Machinery sales and service that may be the samne business.  I have sent them a message to see if they can answer my question.  In the meantime I thought I'd ask here as well.

I need to replace the knives and am looking for the specifications - I think they are 11/16" X 1/8" by 15" but am looking for confirmation.

Second question - I believe quite a few years ago there was information on Woodnet relating to this planer and gear box oil leaks.  Does anybody remeber that or have a source of that information?

Thanks

I think that Wilke will respond to you, even though they don't import these machines, anymore.  If not, I'm pretty sure that this planer is identical to Grizzly's current 15" planer, so you could look to them.
Bob
Rick, I have the 20” version of that planer. It is a generic design. Any or the major brand 4 post planers parts will fit it. The helical head in my planer is from a Powermatic 20” planer. Below are the blades you will need for your machine. When I still had straight knives I always used Freud knives. As for the leak almost every 4 post planer I have seen leaked to one extent or another. When I switched out my cutterhead I made a rubber gasket out of inter tube material and tossed the paper gasket that Carmen with the machine. It hasn’t leaked a drop since.

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-C045-15-Inc...merReviews
(11-08-2017, 09:21 PM)Dave Diaman Wrote: Rick, I have the 20” version of that planer. It is a generic design. Any or the major brand 4 post planers parts will fit it. The helical head in my planer is from a Powermatic 20” planer. Below are the blades you will need for your machine. When I still had straight knives I always used Freud knives. As for the leak almost every 4 post planer I have seen leaked to one extent or another. When I switched out my cutterhead I made a rubber gasket out of inter tube material and tossed the paper gasket that Carmen with the machine. It hasn’t leaked a drop since.

https://www.amazon.com/Freud-C045-15-Inc...merReviews

Dave - thanks for that information.  I'm going to "slightly" open the helical door and stick my head in.  I have a Byrd head on my 8" jointer but I was planning on sticking with straight knives for the planer.  I'm wondering what your thoughts might be.  Just for background - I'm strictly a hobby wood worker who tends to go in spurts.  I haven't had an particular problems with this planer relating to knives.  I'm old enough to say I'm on the downside of this hobby
Smile.  I'm wondering what your thougths may be regarding the cost/benefit of helix heads for guys in my situation.  

Thanks
Rick

If I were going to get a helical head on only one machine it would be the planer. After all that is the final step in surfacing unless you are using a sander. If you use a lot of figured wood as I do it’s even more important. There is also the noise and time you spend changing blades. Noise is obvious. You probably don’t change blades very often. For me I have had my planer for about 10 years and just finally turned the knives. Honestly it probably wasn’t necessary. The Carbide knives seem to last forever and I can’t say how many 10’s of thousands of bf I have run through my machine.
Wilke did get back to me - as someone indicted above the knives for the YC-15P are 1 x1/8 x 15.  However, this simple question that I asked has led me to purchasing a Byrd head (Thanks Dave $%^&*)
Smile.  Actually the comments got me to thinking about it so I contacted Holbren and Brian made me an offer I couldn't refuse.  You will likely see more questions coming about about the install.  I started out intending to simply change the knives and give the machine a good cleaning.  I now have the head pulled,gearbox out and apart, chip deflector out and chip breaker out.  At least it will get the good cleaning
Smile.  I will be unavailable most of next week so this will be a project for the following week.  I should note Dave provided me with a link to Holbren's How To document that is very comprehensive and helpful for the disssembly/install process.

Thanks
Rick