16-5/16" Circular Saw. Real world use.
What are thoughts on using a saw like this to cut OSB as it is sitting on the floor in a stack?

It seems it is better suited as a crosscut but there are some videos showing them ripping a slab of wood.
(11-09-2017, 08:47 PM)mission17 Wrote: What are thoughts on using a saw like this to cut OSB as it is sitting on the floor in a stack?

It seems it is better suited as a crosscut but there are some videos showing them ripping a slab of wood.

Irregardless of what saw used I would never cut more than one sheet at a time. With a straight edge and 3 scraps of 2x4 under the panel you can cut faster and straight. I have seen carpenters trying to save time by cutting several sheets of plywood, Advantec etc  at a time. Takes too long too align the sheets for starters. Then after the cut you have a warped cut because the blade got hot .
I have used a Makita 16" saw for cutting 6x6 posts, that is the only time I used it

mike
(11-10-2017, 06:07 PM)mike4244 Wrote: Irregardless of what saw used I would never cut more than one sheet at a time. With a straight edge and 3 scraps of 2x4 under the panel you can cut faster and straight. I have seen carpenters trying to save time by cutting several sheets of plywood, Advantec etc  at a time. Takes too long too align the sheets for starters. Then after the cut you have a warped cut because the blade got hot .
I have used a Makita 16" saw for cutting 6x6 posts, that is the only time I used it

mike

+1
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Those bigs saws are used a lot in the timbered, log cabin industry.

Ripping 4-5 sheets of osb or ply at a time wouldn't be a problem. Build a low, simple table or saw horses with a backboard on it to butt the sheets against to keep them all aligned, a couple of c-clamps, and saw away
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-11-2017, 12:41 AM)Stwood_ Wrote: Those bigs saws are used a lot in the timbered, log cabin industry.

Ripping 4-5 sheets of osb or ply at a time wouldn't be a problem. Build a low, simple table or saw horses with a backboard on it to butt the sheets against to keep them all aligned, a couple of c-clamps, and saw away

I picked up one of the Makitas on CL to use for 6x6 only time I have used it no idea why but the thing kind of scared me.  I have used much larger chainsaws and even concrete saws near that size without the same cheek clenching
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(11-11-2017, 02:22 AM)Bob10 Wrote: I picked up one of the Makitas on CL to use for 6x6 only time I have used it no idea why but the thing kind of scared me.  I have used much larger chainsaws and even concrete saws near that size without the same cheek clenching

They have a tendency to give out that clenching effect.
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Actually, cutting on the stack is not that difficult or inaccurate. We use a Ridgid saw with a shop-made rip guide, Irwin 24 tooth blades and cyclone dust collection.
We cut 68 sheets in a session, 5 sheets at a time, one cut up the length then one across the width.

The stacks are cut where the delivery driver places them in front of the shop on 4x4 platform. They are pretty square when we pop the band but a bump or 2 with a short piece of 4x4 bring any wandering back to square.
It’s a very good system but we are always thinking of ways to improve effiency.

The only reason I wondered about the 16” saw was there is one for sale at a local flea market for $150.
Imagine cutting 14 sheets at a time!
(11-11-2017, 12:56 PM)mission17 Wrote: Imagine cutting 14 sheets at a time!

Thats almost triple what you do now. Plug that $150.00 saw in and look it over. Good price.
Steve

Mo.

WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

My neighbor had them pliug it in and it does run. It looks old and blade has some rust on it .
I am going to try and look at it this weekend and inspect it a bit more. If I can get them down on price a bit more, I’m gonna buy it just to see how it’ll work in my situation. If it doesn’t, I can clean it up a bit and sell it.