Making sawdust for future projects
The portable saw mill finally showed up and we are doing my neighbors logs first.  We got a late start yesterday after the rain finally cleared out and hopefully all the logs will be milled up by the end of the day today. My neighbor has a mixture of Oak, Maple and one Cedar but the Cedar is going back to the homeowner that had it cut down a few days ago.  I did get some off cuts from the Cedar and it's going to be dried in my home...it smells as good as it looks.
Smile

Thanks for the photos,  always love to see  photos from the lumber process.
Thanks for showing the pictures. That cedar looks very pretty.

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

I always enjoy watching wood being milked. You never know what you will see

(11-10-2017, 05:39 AM)Duane N Wrote: The portable saw mill finally showed up and we are doing my neighbors logs first.  We got a late start yesterday after the rain finally cleared out and hopefully all the logs will be milled up by the end of the day today. My neighbor has a mixture of Oak, Maple and one Cedar but the Cedar is going back to the homeowner that had it cut down a few days ago.  I did get some off cuts from the Cedar and it's going to be dried in my home...it smells as good as it looks.
Smile

That is a sweet set up he has, complete with a hydraulic log lifter.  A word of caution about drying green wood.  It's not a good idea to dry it indoors unless you have a drying kiln because it will dry too fast and split.  It's far better to sticker it outdoors with a cover only on the top and somewhere out of direct sunshine.  By next Fall it will be dry enough to safely take indoors to finish drying. 

John
(11-10-2017, 10:38 AM)jteneyck Wrote: That is a sweet set up he has, complete with a hydraulic log lifter.  A word of caution about drying green wood.  It's not a good idea to dry it indoors unless you have a drying kiln because it will dry too fast and split.  It's far better to sticker it outdoors with a cover only on the top and somewhere out of direct sunshine.  By next Fall it will be dry enough to safely take indoors to finish drying. 

John

The Oak I had milled up is being dried outdoors on a rack.  The Cedar off cut is just something I want to mess with and it's only 6"-8" wide with bark on the other side.
I'm not sure how many BF I ended up with but it was a lot from one tree.  I had 5/4, 8/4 and 10/4 milled up and also some natural edge slabs.  One of the logs was even smiling upon me towards the end of the milling process.
Smile

(11-10-2017, 08:34 AM)goaliedad Wrote: I always enjoy watching wood being milked. You never know what you will see

Especially when it gets past your eyes.

Looks good. I see some black spots in the bottom of one log. Did you have nails/metal to deal with? Yard trees always seem to attract nails.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-10-2017, 11:57 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Looks good. I see some black spots in the bottom of one log. Did you have nails/metal to deal with? Yard trees always seem to attract nails.

Good eye and yes, the main log at the base of the Oak had several nails in it.  It was 12' long and I ended up cutting 3 1/2' off of it until I found the metal with a metal detector.  I shot video of this main section falling down and the tree service guys chain saw sparked once he got to the middle of it so I knew there was something big right in the middle.