Making sawdust for future projects
Nice post, something right about using trees from your property and having them sawn right there.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(11-11-2017, 07:25 PM)Steve N Wrote: Nice post, something right about using trees from your property and having them sawn right there.
I had two similar sized trees removed after Isabel along with 6 Pine trees and they either became fire wood or went to the landfill....never again but I'm only left with pines on my property now.  I do have a Black Walnut but it just came up this year so it's going to take some time to mature.
Big Grin

I got about 2/3 of the wood stacked today on the drying rack.  I have some 17 1/2'  5/4 boards (need to be cut in half), the 17 1/2' 10/4 board (need to be cut in half) and some smaller slabs left to stack.  I wanted some weight on the top but I'm going to need help getting the larger stuff up there tomorrow.  Thankfully I have 2 eager neighbors that want to help me with that task.

Cool 
I hope your stickers are dry, and not green trimmings from your lumber.
Green stickers cause mold, which cause sticker stain. A stain that stays in your lumber. A very deep stain that most of the time will not surface plane out.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(11-12-2017, 01:01 AM)Stwood_ Wrote:
Cool 
I hope your stickers are dry, and not green trimmings from your lumber.
Green stickers cause mold, which cause sticker stain. A stain that stays in your lumber. A very deep stain that most of the time will not surface plane out.

Thank you for the advice on the stickers and yes, they are dried lumber I ripped from scraps lying around the house.  I've seen videos where they made the stickers from what they were cutting and thought using green wood with moisture wasn't a good idea because there's no air circulation between the sticker and the wood.

Cool
Cool
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Some woods are fussier than others about the stickers. I've found I can dry Cypress and Cedar just fine with green stickers cut from the same log. Those woods seem to dry easily and resist staining. Others like Oak and Maple will often stain, and the marks can go deep into the wood, leaving a shadow even after planing. Pine seems to be sort of in the middle, and I would use dry sticks just to be sure.

And of course if it's only construction lumber or fence boards, then it doesn't really matter.
That cedar is gorgeous.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
(11-12-2017, 03:37 AM)Duane N Wrote: Thank you for the advice on the stickers and yes, they are dried lumber I ripped from scraps lying around the house.  I've seen videos where they made the stickers from what they were cutting and thought using green wood with moisture wasn't a good idea because there's no air circulation between the sticker and the wood.

Nice looking haul - thanks for the great pics! Any of the oak quartersawn?

Doug
(11-21-2017, 03:01 PM)Tapper Wrote: Nice looking haul - thanks for the great pics! Any of the oak quartersawn?

Doug

No, no quartersawn oak.