Laguna Revo vs. Grizzly
Do any of you have input on the Laguna Revo? It's basically in the same class as the bigger Grizzly models. The tag on the Revo says made in Tiawan, which, to me is a plus rather than made in China. I'd like to hear your thoughts on which one you prefer. Thanks, Bill
(11-11-2017, 12:04 PM)Herebrooks Wrote: Do any of you have input on the Laguna Revo? It's basically in the same class as the bigger Grizzly models. The tag on the Revo says made in Tiawan, which, to me is a plus rather than made in China. I'd like to hear your thoughts on which one you prefer. Thanks, Bill

Nice review here from another site I frequent

https://woodbarter.com/threads/laguna-re...the.23509/
(11-11-2017, 02:24 PM)pinky Wrote: Nice review here from another site I frequent

https://woodbarter.com/threads/laguna-re...the.23509/
Thanks Pinky
(11-12-2017, 09:15 AM)Herebrooks Wrote: Thanks Pinky

It depends on which Grizzly you are talking about.  If it is the G0799 or G0800 they are the same thing as the Powermatic's if it is the G0733 (Think that is correct) then I think the Laguna is better.  If I had my choice again I would go to the G0800 instead of the PM3520b and the Grizzly is cheaper to.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(11-12-2017, 12:18 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: It depends on which Grizzly you are talking about.  If it is the G0799 or G0800 they are the same thing as the Powermatic's if it is the G0733 (Think that is correct) then I think the Laguna is better.  If I had my choice again I would go to the G0800 instead of the PM3520b and the Grizzly is cheaper to.

The Powermatic and Grizz lathes are very different.  They are not the same lathe with different color paint.  They are not even made in the same country.  Different (but similar) specs.  Different warranties.  There are a lot of really nice features on the Grizz, though.  And, it appears to be heavier than the PM lathe.  Certainly worth consideration. FWIW, the G0799 is about $100 more than the PM 3520.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Shocked 
(11-12-2017, 12:30 PM)AHill Wrote: The Powermatic and Grizz lathes are very different.  They are not the same lathe with different color paint.  They are not even made in the same country.  Different (but similar) specs.  Different warranties.  There are a lot of really nice features on the Grizz, though.  And, it appears to be heavier than the PM lathe.  Certainly worth consideration.  FWIW, the G0799 is about $100 more than the PM 3520.

This is correct.  Those grizzly lathes bare no resemblance to the PM line.  They are in fact the older lathes that Laguna USED to label as the REVO lathes before their current line was introduced 3 years or so ago.     

Same lathe as GO800 in Laguna trade dress.  Funny how Grizzly includes the swing away in the spindle length.
[Image: 502131__01837.1391788767.500.500.jpg?c=2]

The Powermatic 3520b is discontinued.  The 3520C debuts December 1 at $4500.  
Eek

The current Revos are certainly attractive compared to that.

In my opinion, the Revo 18-36 is a great buy when one compares it to the Jet 18-42 or MAYBE the 3520. The Jet would be its real competitor.
The Revo uses the same inverter that was used on the 3520b, and the 16-42. I have never seen one of these fail personally. The grizzly inverter is a no name black box.
I think the Revo's electronics are first rate. The only complaint i have is that the bed itself is steel instead of cast iron. Some guys in our turning club dislike steel bed lathes. However, no one has noticed it on the Revo since it is surrounded by so much cast iron. As a result it doesn't seem as "bouncy" as Robust does. In fact, no one has ever noticed it's a steel bed until they were told. Otherwise i think the Revo is a good buy.
I owned the grizzly 0766 for about 1-1/2 yrs at which time I sold it and purchased the Laguna 18/36. The 0766 is a good lathe for what you pay but it does not compare to the Laguna in my opinion. Things I didn't like about the 0766 is the fact you have to work on it before you can use it, not a big deal to file the spindle down so the chucks will seat but it's brand new. The bed ways on my lathe where not parallel with each other so I had to really lock down the banjo and tailstock to make them stay in place and the coring tool plate was difficult to keep in place. I had to constantly file on the tail stock shaft so it would slide smoothly and the threads are slow. The inverter is noisy from a fan and the spindle has a small little hole through it. The lathe is to tall and the stance of the legs should be wider to help make it more stable. The spindle lock is a pain in the butt and the variable speed control doesn't last very long, inexpensive part but again, it's a new machine. Many other little things that bugged me but as I said it's a good lathe for what I paid.
The Laguna is an awesome lathe, yes it's more money but mine has worked excellent without one flaw. The height is good, the stance on the legs is wide to help it be stable and it is smooth as can be. The spindle is hardened and I think a 3/8" hole and is threaded on the outboard side so it makes hooking up a vacuum easy. Has a good spindle lock although I wish it stayed in place by itself, the indexing system is good but when I'm indexing I use a wheel. The bed ways are much wider than the 0766 was. The tailstock, banjo and accessories clamp in place easily and stay where they are. I do allot of hollowing so take the tailstock off all the time, it slides right back on every time with no wrestling to get in place. The tailstock spindle works perfectly and has a coarser thread so it travels faster. The knock out bar and live center are top notch and the inverter does not make any sound at all. The controls work beautifully and in a good location. The shape of the headstock is great for bowl turning. The tool rest on the Laguna is good quality, the 0766 is not. I like the fact that for $500 bucks I can turn 32" dia. off the end with bolt on accessories, can't do that with the 0766. The 0766 says its 3 hp while the Laguna is 2 hp but you couldn't prove it by me, the Laguna has allot of torque.
These things are my opinion based on my own experiences. Not trying to ruffle any feathers they are both good lathes and the price points are very different.
I still have things to learn. 
Yes

I guess I should have said they look a lot alike. 
Laugh
Laugh
Big Grin
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.