Horizontal Mortised?
If one was to build a horizontal slot mortiser, would it make more sense to have the table that holds the workpiece moveable, or the riser that holds the router? Obviously the riser that holds the router needs to move in the z axis, but having a fixed table and being able to move the router in the x and y axis would allow more flexibility in routing mortises in long unwieldy pieces. Conversely, having the table move in an x/y pattern would be simpler to build and more intuitive? Maybe I am overthinking this entirely. I will probably just buy jteneck's (sp?) and go from there.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
(11-11-2017, 07:17 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: I will probably just buy jteneck's (sp?) and go from there.

Pedro

Sounds like a plan, I hear it’s excellent.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(11-11-2017, 07:26 PM)Admiral Wrote: Sounds like a plan, I hear it’s excellent.

Yep it is well worth the money, or if you are so inclined you could build one. John has not appeared to be stingy with how to make his. I can vouch that Johns is very well made, and a person could expect long frequent use from one.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I guess I was unclear that I would buy John's plan and not the whole thing. There ar a million ideas on the interned and was wondering if the are any pitfalls to avoid.

Pedro
I miss nested quotes..........
I'm sure John's plans are superb.  Another alternative is Woodsmith Shop (out sponsors) has plans for a combination router table, including a mortising attachment.  The table tilts to convert from a standard router table to a horizontal table, and has attachments for horizontal routing.

http://www.woodsmithshop.com/media/pdf/1...-table.pdf
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(11-11-2017, 07:17 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: If one was to build a horizontal slot mortiser, would it make more sense to have the table that holds the workpiece moveable, or the riser that holds the router? Obviously the riser that holds the router needs to move in the z axis, but having a fixed table and being able to move the router in the x and y axis would allow more flexibility in routing mortises in long unwieldy pieces. Conversely, having the table move in an x/y pattern would be simpler to build and more intuitive? Maybe I am overthinking this entirely. I will probably just buy jteneck's (sp?) and go from there.

Pedro

Another vote for John's plan. With all respect to our hosts, John's horizontal mortiser is much more simple and is dedicated to one task, making precision mortises. With support devices (most shops already have them) his mortiser is extremely flexible and handles material of all lengths easily. 

OTOH, if you're looking for both a router table and a mortiser, maybe the Woodsmith plan will work for you.

Doug
(11-11-2017, 08:49 PM)PedroOhare Wrote: I guess I was unclear that I would buy John's plan and not the whole thing. There ar a million ideas on the interned and was wondering if the are any pitfalls to avoid.

Pedro

The plans to my original horizontal router mortiser are free.  That is the one shown here.   There is a SketchUp model (the plans) at the bottom of the page that you can download at no charge.  If you don't have SketchUp I can send you PDF files with drawings of the major parts.  Several people have built one.  Others have purchased the newer model with the tilting X-table.  

To your thought about have the router move left/right, I don't see how that would function in a practical way.  You would still have to provide supplemental support for long work pieces. More importantly, the best way to route a mortise with a horizontal router mortiser is to use a zig/zag motion.  That is only possible if both the X and Y tables can move simultaneously.  If you only have a moveable Y table you would be forced to use the mortiser like you do with a plunge router; plunge a little bit and lock the work table (because if you don't it will move when you move the router), then move the router left/right, plunge a little more, repeat.  That is slow, leaves a rougher mortise, and wears the bit faster.  

John
Pedro, I have one of John's mortisers. At the time when I got his I was looking at a few of the horizontal router tables available commercially and a few of the slot mortisers. In the end John's machine was the best choice for me. It gets a ton of use in my shop. It is one of those machines that you will end up using a lot more than you think once you have it.