8" Bench Grinder
I am going to buy an 8" bench grinder to start the process (hollow ground, stone or diamond plate, strop) of sharpening chisels, plane irons, etc.  I am basically a hobbiest and I see myself using the grinder a couple two or three times a year, so not too much.  My question is should I spring for a Dewalt or some other brand name grinder, or will a Harbor Freight or some other off-brand grinder be good enough?  I usually will spend a few more bucks for good tools, I am just not sure the less expensive (about half the cost) will not do me just fine.  Also, I will buy a tool rest to hold the tool while I sharpen it from Lee Valley, so the tool rest on the grinder does not mattter to me.  Also any difference between 1/2" and 5/8 inch arbor?  Thanks you as always.
Personally I'd skip the HF and get this Rikon. It you have time, wait a while and Woodcraft will have it on sale for $99. Already equipped with the white wheels and the slow speed, you'll be set. The wheels do wear a little faster than the higher quality ones but it's a still a good deal in my book.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
HF tool rests are really poor. 

Al
I turn, therefore I am!
I caught a heck of a deal on the Delta variable speed.  I was watching Craig's List for a good name grinder.  A good grinder will come in handy far more than you expect.  I've also been surprised that the high speed has never been used.  Go for quality.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Any of the brand names are good but get an aftermarket tool rest like the one from Lee Valley.
Don
I have been satisfied with some HF tools for light use, but a bench grinder is not one of them.  Their major problem is that they do little to no quality control, so the ostensibly same item that works for you may not work for someone else.  That said, I tried to use an HF grinder with a wire wheel to remove rust.  There was so little power that the wheel would simply stop when I tried to use it.  I returned two of them to HF and bought the Rikon that was recommended earlier in this thread.  It has worked fine for several years, though I now understand why someone might want a still more robust grinder.  A nice older one would cost several times as much.
For a more serious bench grinder, I look for a smaller cased motor that gives more space for moving the work at angles without that restriction and longer shafted arbors. Baldor makes a fine grinder.
I would seriously never consider a HF grinder.
(11-12-2017, 11:49 AM)fptahoe Wrote: I am going to buy an 8" bench grinder to start the process (hollow ground, stone or diamond plate, strop) of sharpening chisels, plane irons, etc.  I am basically a hobbiest and I see myself using the grinder a couple two or three times a year, so not too much.  My question is should I spring for a Dewalt or some other brand name grinder, or will a Harbor Freight or some other off-brand grinder be good enough?  I usually will spend a few more bucks for good tools, I am just not sure the less expensive (about half the cost) will not do me just fine.  Also, I will buy a tool rest to hold the tool while I sharpen it from Lee Valley, so the tool rest on the grinder does not mattter to me.  Also any difference between 1/2" and 5/8 inch arbor?  Thanks you as always.
My opinion...Avoid the HF..the bearings are no good..lots of vibration.....Delta variable speed is a good grinder and for my money, the Rikon on sale is also...The white wheels are more friable and cut faster with less heat to the tool than the harder gray aluminum oxide vitrified wheels...You can tell a lot about the quality of the grinder by the quality of the tool rests it comes with.
Whatever type of grinder you buy, make sure to get a wheel dressing tool..I prefer the diamond dresser..Keep the wheel dressed for a more enjoyable grinding experience.
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I got a good deal on a CBN wheel but didn't want to buy a new grinder for it so I mounted it and my OneWay jig to my old lathe. I new there was a reason I kept it!

I would post a picture of it but my computer is fighting with the new software and won't let me.

BTW, the CBN wheel just loves to be turned at 900 rpm. It makes a very gentle and controllable way to refresh the edge on my bowl gouges.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
(11-12-2017, 12:03 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Personally I'd skip the HF and get this Rikon. It you have time, wait a while and Woodcraft will have it on sale for $99. Already equipped with the white wheels and the slow speed, you'll be set. The wheels do wear a little faster than the higher quality ones but it's a still a good deal in my book.

Appears to be on sale for $99 at Woodcraft as we speak:

https://www.woodcraft.com/products/rikon...LwQAvD_BwE