8" Bench Grinder
I've got an 8" HF grinder, and it works fine for my purposes:  Sharpening my ax or garden tools and grinding on a piece of metal for some reason.  In other words, rough work.  It has not, and will not, touched my chisels or plane irons.  For that I have a Worksharp 3000.  That, along with a few of the accessories (like the leather strop), will keep your edges in fine shape with a minimum of fuss.  Granted, it won't do hollow ground edges, but you don't really need them.
Bob
Woodturning Wonders has the 1HP Rikon grinders on sale.

Their CBN wheels are really nice and they have package deals with the wheels pre-installed.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
Dear all - this is all so incredibly helpful, thank you kindly.  Will pull the trigger on the Rikon or something in that range.  Thank you, again...FPT.
(11-12-2017, 12:03 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Personally I'd skip the HF and get this Rikon. It you have time, wait a while and Woodcraft will have it on sale for $99. Already equipped with the white wheels and the slow speed, you'll be set. The wheels do wear a little faster than the higher quality ones but it's a still a good deal in my book.

Woodcraft has got it for $99 right now..... but $16 shipping (as opposed to Amazon's $24) at least for me, don't know if Woodcraft has a free shipping deal.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis