Maytag elec dryer - hot wire to heat element
The "hot" wire burns off the connector on the heating element cage.

The first time I "fixed" it [about three months ago], I used a "high temp" ring connector and thought that I fastened the black wire to the ring connector the right way.

I guess I didn't because today I have the same issue.....the black wire is disconnected and it appears that the wire burned off the ring connector which is still fastened to the cage.

Is there some "trick" to connecting the hot wire to the ring connector?
(11-13-2017, 12:23 PM)varkpilot Wrote: The "hot" wire burns off the connector on the heating element cage.

The first time I "fixed" it [about three months ago], I used a "high temp" ring connector and thought that I fastened the black wire to the ring connector the right way.

I guess I didn't because today I have the same issue.....the black wire is disconnected and it appears that the wire burned off the ring connector which is still fastened to the cage.

What is burning off?  Is it the terminal or the wire it self? On mine, The terminal lug is a slip on. I have a Kenmore version.  I have replaced the element about 3 times now when it has burned out.  It could be the element is shorted out instead of going the through the whole wire. You could check this with a meter going to both ends of the element with a continuity check.  A picture would help. Dan
(11-13-2017, 12:23 PM)varkpilot Wrote: The "hot" wire burns off the connector on the heating element cage.

No specific help... However, I found the "how to" videos on repairclinc.com to be very helpful. Put in your model number, find your part and their should be a video on how to install it.
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

(11-13-2017, 12:56 PM)rudedan60 Wrote: What is burning off?  Is it the terminal or the wire it self? On mine, The terminal lug is a slip on. I have a Kenmore version.  I have replaced the element about 3 times now when it has burned out.  It could be the element is shorted out instead of going the through the whole wire. You could check this with a meter going to both ends of the element with a continuity check.  A picture would help. Dan

the hot wire is burning off the ring connector.  the ring connector remains fastened to the terminal.

this is first time trying to upload a ".jpg" and I get this: "The file upload failed. Please choose a valid file and try again."

I select "browse" and try and select two photos I saved to my PC desktop but evidently they're not downloading.

Using MS Outlook.
(11-13-2017, 01:27 PM)varkpilot Wrote:  
the hot wire is burning off the ring connector.  the ring connector remains fastened to the terminal.

this is first time trying to upload a ".jpg" and I get this: "The file upload failed. Please choose a valid file and try again."

I select "browse" and try and select two photos I saved to my PC desktop but evidently they're not downloading.

Using MS Outlook.

In addition to crimping it, solder it.   Are you using the proper crimper ?    Roly
(11-13-2017, 01:42 PM)Roly Wrote:  In addition to crimping it, solder it.   Are you using the proper crimper ?    Roly

I'd guess I haven't......last time, I used linesman pliers and squeeeeeeezed really hard.
(11-13-2017, 02:00 PM)varkpilot Wrote: I'd guess I haven't......last time, I used linesman pliers and squeeeeeeezed really hard.

Make sure your dryer is level and firmly seated on 4 feet...Excess vibration could be contributing to your situation...
The wire may become corroded from overheating and the new connector will never get a good contact. Replace the wire with the same rated wire or clean the wire very well until it is shiny.

The connector should fit snug on the wire before crimping.
Some crimpers are junk and don't leave complete contact.
Some cheap connectors are made from very thin material that relaxes when it gets warm or doesn't hold a tight crimp.
Clean all surfaces making contact till shiny.
Use a washer for more surface area contact- the lock washer must be behind the washer.
A ring connector may be too big.
A overheating connection near by on the same wire can overheat the new connection.
Be careful not to cut the wire strands, leaving yourself with a smaller wire.

Check the amp draw that it is in limits.
(11-13-2017, 10:34 PM)daddo Wrote: The wire may become corroded from overheating and the new connector will never get a good contact. Replace the wire with the same rated wire or clean the wire very well until it is shiny.
 One this same note if the copper wire is soft by the burnt area the wire must be cut off until it is normal hardness.  The soft copper will flow under the heat and pressure and create a loose connection which will burn again.  I have had very good luck by soldering after crimping on connections that tend to burn.   Roly