Table for Drill Press
(11-21-2017, 12:26 AM)daddo Wrote: I do wood and metal, so a nice table wouldn't do the trick for me- it wouldn't last a week.

I just need something to rest various work on and get a hole.  I'll hold some small metals with the pliers.  I use the two way vise (They call it a milling vise is which is incorrect because of accuracy) to do a lot metals and pipes, then made a top to fit the vise for other like wood.

First, I always make a Tee Handle to make adjusting the table faster.
[Image: NtVuFeC.jpg]

I use the vise to hold wood or metal steady and can crank it into a perfect position that won't move.
[Image: otH1PaF.jpg]

I make a table to clamp into the vise.
[Image: 6CWHqLO.jpg]

The table rotates, has a stop peg that can be removed- it holds the work from spinning. The slots hold pegs for repeated holes. The vise can be cranked to adjust almost any position. The pin slot holds it from rotating when I need it set.

[Image: 07adjzv.jpg]

I prefer smaller and quick. Drill and go.  

With the vise, you can make several different tables to clamp in place to suit each drilling type of operations.

Not for everyone.

Thats quite clever and very handy for doing the usual repair stuff I tear up at farm.
Watch your fingers!!

In the current Fine Woodworking, "Tools and Shops" Winter 2018 issue, there is a tip about fabricating a drill press table with built-in sliding outriggers to support long pieces. Looks very simple and relatively inexpensive to build.
(11-21-2017, 12:26 AM)daddo Wrote: I do wood and metal, so a nice table wouldn't do the trick for me- it wouldn't last a week.

I just need something to rest various work on and get a hole.  I'll hold some small metals with the pliers.  I use the two way vise (They call it a milling vise is which is incorrect because of accuracy) to do a lot metals and pipes, then made a top to fit the vise for other like wood.
I was going to go this route with the 2-way vise permanently mounted.  But I was thinking I would like a table as well.  I'll have to try your method and see if it works for me. I have a Palmgren 2-way vise which is a little smaller than yours. But it's pretty stout, so hopefully it will work.
Maybe not professional enough for some, but I mounted mine on top of a 2-drawer lateral file. $35 at the recycle store - the wood one because it is heavy and super stable; the metal ones rattle and shake. Mounted locking casters on a plywood base under it for mobility. Good storage. Just the right height. Quick and cheap.

Some people are discussing a table on which to place a bench top press, others are discussing an auxiliary table for the press itself.

So I’ll just add that it is possible to make a table of various types of bits and diameters which shows you the optimum RPM range to set the drill press.

There, now three sorts of tables.
(11-14-2017, 10:57 AM)MissouriSawdust Wrote: Looking for ideas or plans for drill press table. Ive had too many close calls holding things, even when I know better I do stupid. Any photos, links or suggestions are welcome!.

I kept mine simple, made it up as I built it. I kept the depth of the table the same as the depth of the OEM table, that way I can reach back and crank the table up and down the same as without it.

Attached Files Image(s)

Homemade top with Peachtree heavy duty T-track running from front to back on right and left side.
The track is used to hold a drill press vise and also the fence..

Most of the table is 2.25" thick, while the center from front to back is only 1.5" thick for a 6" width 4" left of center to 2" right of center.
There is a tongue and grove tongue on each side of the 6" gap. The gap is filled in with 3/4" thick MDF that has a grove routered on each side to fit the tongue.

The MDF can slide forward and back in the grove to have a new sacrificial spot for the length of the MDF. You end up with a strip of drill holes.
The tongue and grove keeps the MDF from lifting up when you raise the drill.

Turning the strip 180 degrees gives you another strip of sacrificial surface. Flipping the strip over gives you two more strips worth of drilling.

Using 3 or 4 shorter strips to fill the space from front to back allows you to move them around.

A 4" sta put dust collection hose stretches out to clean up the surface.
My .02
Karl