Is this a "Good" RAS ? ? ?
Question 
I've been interested in a RAS for mainly dado duty.  Saw this old green DeWalt come up last night.  Is this one old enough to be any good?

https://jackson.craigslist.org/tls/d/tab...23128.html
Yes! Get it.
Semper fi,
Brad

(11-14-2017, 01:20 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: I've been interested in a RAS for mainly dado duty.  Saw this old green DeWalt come up last night.  Is this one old enough to be any good?

That looks like the exact some one as I have.  TablesawTom gave mine to me and it is a 1954 DeWalt AMF 9" and I finally got it restored except the bed.  Even tho they were not bad I replaced the bearings that allows it to travel back and forth and the anything else that might fail in the future.  This thing purrs like a cat and I am Very pleased.
I see the one you have your eyes on has the black plastic 90 degree DC which I am missing. 

One thing I am going to do it make a plastic guard that goes on both sides in front of the blade that shows the area where the blade is going to go so I will always  keep my fingers from it plus a clamp to keep the wood in place.

The price is kind of high unless he already replaced all the bushings and bearings then it would be worth it and I also see the key is there of which it is needed to.

Good luck on getting a piece of history and a great piece of woodworking.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
It's a good saw. Imho, the price is high if it's a 9" saw. Worth asking price if 10" or 12" in good operating condition.
I long for the days when Coke was a soft drink, and Black and Decker was a quality tool.
Happiness is a snipe free planer
I wouldn't call the price too high, considering what it can do. I got lucky and got my 1959 1030 at $75, but that was just dumb luck.

I'd have to worries or regrets paying asking price for this saw if I knew it would be doing dadoes and half laps.
Semper fi,
Brad

That is a good saw, but I do believe the price is a bit high. If it is well-tuned, the carriage rides smooth, and the arm raises, swings smooth & locks firmly, I could see paying up to about $125. There are a lot of these saws out there, and it's rare that I see one for sale that doesn't need some kind of work. Be it cleaning, new bearings, new blade, new cord or switch, almost all of them need something.

It's definitely worth looking at, and buying if you feel you're getting a good deal. They really are good saws...
Yes

Dave
"One should respect public opinion insofar as is necessary to avoid starvation and keep out of prison, but anything that goes beyond this is voluntary submission to an unnecessary tyrany, and is likely to interfere with happiness in all kinds of ways."
(11-14-2017, 01:20 PM)DieselDennis Wrote: I've been interested in a RAS for mainly dado duty.  Saw this old green DeWalt come up last night.  Is this one old enough to be any good?

Yes a good deal...Drive down to Terry and get it.
Eric
I agree with arlin, looking at what I believe to be a paper towel holder on the wall just past the saw for size comparison, this is the 9" while a good saw, not often hunted down. 10" and 12" would maybe carry that price. I too think it's priced too high, I'd give 100 bux, but these come up with some regularity around here. If you've really been looking, and this is what you've seen???? Then it is what it is, a saw ready for a new owner.

Of course depending how woodsy you are, you may also want to CL "radio arm saw"

Current Cinci CL got a couple of small ones, 100 and 75
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW

If that's a 9" MBF it likely has a 3/4 HP motor.  It is a great saw for trim work etc. in 4/4 stock, but it is challenged in 8/4 stock or for running wide dados in hard wood.  If your primary motivation is running dados I would probably put a 6" stack on it as it will have greater torque than an 8".  Really though, I'd hold out for a 10" GWI with a dual voltage 1.5 HP motor, or even larger saw.  The problem with all the smaller saws is their tendency to climb cut due to the lower HP motors and flex in the column.  The larger saws have more powerful motors and much higher rigidity and have far less tendency to climb. 

But the price is not high to me considering what a RAS can do, and the MBF is a real cherry for light work.  No chop saw costing twice as much can do what it can do, nor as well. 

John
(11-14-2017, 07:11 PM)jteneyck Wrote: If that's a 9" MBF it likely has a 3/4 HP motor.  It is a great saw for trim work etc. in 4/4 stock, but it is challenged in 8/4 stock or for running wide dados in hard wood.  If your primary motivation is running dados I would probably put a 6" stack on it as it will have greater torque than an 8".  Really though, I'd hold out for a 10" GWI with a dual voltage 1.5 HP motor, or even larger saw.  The problem with all the smaller saws is their tendency to climb cut due to the lower HP motors and flex in the column.  The larger saws have more powerful motors and much higher rigidity and have far less tendency to climb. 

But the price is not high to me considering what a RAS can do, and the MBF is a real cherry for light work.  No chop saw costing twice as much can do what it can do, nor as well. 

John

Great saw I used to have one just like it.

Know this though.  The to cut a dado, the table has to be completely flat in reference to the travel of the blade.  It's possible to get this setup, but tricky to get right.  Otherwise, your dado will be at different depths along the cut.  Just something to consider.  

This might cause complete uproar, however, I am going to say it... On a saw that is "difficult" to control, like a RAS can sometimes be... I prefer LESS power of the motor.  I can manhandle a smaller motor better than I can a larger one I feel like.  If things go south, the motor, in my experience, will bind and stall way before it will throw stuff at me, or fly towards me...  Again this is my experience with a 9" mbf.