Building Grandsons Christmas Present
(11-20-2017, 06:18 PM)stav Wrote: That's a great looking bench.  I really appreciate you posting that video on viceless benches as well.

My grandson has an interest in just about anything mechanical. Someone gave him a bench grinder that didn't work and he fixed it, It had one wheel so I gave him another and I was over to his house yesterday and noticed that it now has two grinding wheels on it.

I sometimes go to craft shows and have always wanted a knock down bench so I started making one. And then decided to give it to him for Christmas.  I have another post about my woodworking bench for my shop.

The big register in the floor is a heat run. But I can't afford to heat the building (7500 SQ FT )  so it is just there.

What I posted was a bench in the process of being built. I finished it today except for some pins. and I will post some more pictures. And yes I did flush up the top with the sides. And believe me when I say that the pile of shavings pictured was just a small sampling of what really came off.

Tom
Are you building this bench based on a plan?  If so, can you provide details on it. 

I need to build a bench someday and this variety has always appealed the most due to the simple looking construction. It wasn't until I saw the video you posted that I recognized how useful it would be.
(11-20-2017, 07:54 PM)tablesawtom Wrote: .... And yes I did flush up the top with the sides. And believe me when I say that the pile of shavings pictured was just a small sampling of what really came off.

Tom

I figured those shavings came from somewhere.
Winkgrin

Phil
Great gift and thanks for the video!
Here are some pictures of the finished bench.

Attached Files Image(s)

That's a beauty!
Semper fi,
Brad

Nice job, Tom.  That'll give your apprentice a leg up as he continues to learn his craft.

Phil
This is so awesome!
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
(11-21-2017, 08:17 AM)stav Wrote: Are you building this bench based on a plan?  If so, can you provide details on it. 

I need to build a bench someday and this variety has always appealed the most due to the simple looking construction. It wasn't until I saw the video you posted that I recognized how useful it would be.

There are quite a few places to find plans for benches similar or identical to this one, from Nicholson himself, to Schwarz, and others.  If you follow the link at the video above, Siemsen sells a video with complete plans, also showing starting with nothing, buying all the tools needed at a MWTCA meet, fixing them up, then building sawhorses and workbench using the tools he just set up.
I  am not, what one would say, good on a computer and I am sure someone can come up with a direct link. But until that happens, here is how to get to the free plans. Note, I did however alter the build based on viewing the video.

Google Nicholson workbench plans. Select free Nicholson knockdown plans. There is a link KD Nicholson Bench and so on , click on it. 

Tom