A finishing problem
SWMBO wants a tall, skinny, Maple, segmented vase that is dyed bright red. The problem is that the skinny neck is open segments while the body and lip are closed segments. Since I "justified" my new lathe to make this piece (I said SHE wants it, remember?) the time has come to do it.

I've never done an open-segment piece so here's my question. How do I finish the visible holes in the open segments? That end grain won't take dye the same way the edge grain on the outside does and I can't polish it smooth. I'm tempted to spray the inside and end faces black before glue-up.

Any advice for the novice?

Thanks.
SM
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
You might want to post this question on the Woodturning firm. You'd probably get a better response than here on the Power Tools forum.
(11-16-2017, 10:42 AM)Hank Knight Wrote: You might want to post this question on the Woodturning firm. You'd probably get a better response than here on the Power Tools forum.
Whoops! I wasn't paying attention.
We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.