What wood to use for a tool chest?
I'm thinking of building a small tool chest for storing my favorite hand tools. I'm going to use plans from Mike Pekovich's  Essential Tool Chest published in Fine Woodworking magazine. I just haven't decided what wood I should use. Mike used butternut for his chest. He wanted something light in weight and easy to work with. He did mention that butternut will dent easily because of it's softness. I know white oak is probably the most used species in making tool chests. Almost every Gerstner chest I've seen is made of white oak. The problem for me is that I am sick of using oak for almost everything I make. Cherry too. So, if you have made a chest you are proud of using something other than oak or cherry I would like to know about it. Pictures would help too.
In terms of strength-to-weight ratio, eastern white pine is the go-to material.
Out on the west coast a great substitute is molding grade sugar pine.

For appearance it's tough to beat Honduras mahogany.
(11-17-2017, 02:43 PM)Chuck Nickerson Wrote: In terms of strength-to-weight ratio, eastern white pine is the go-to material.
Out on the west coast a great substitute is molding grade sugar pine.

For appearance it's tough to beat Honduras mahogany.

Most of the ones I find that are antiques, survived a hundred years or so were made from pine.

I build mine from mahogany, just because this is a hobby and not a business where I'm trying to make a profit...
First, are you looking for an end product that is purely functional, or something that is a showcase of the tools being stored, i.e., Studley Tool Chest-esque. If the latter, go with exotics that will impress. Otherwise, stick with pine or poplar, and where this chest is intended to be mobile, look for ways to make the chest itself a bit lighter in weight, but stout, as you don't want to add weight where it is not needed. My travel chest is made of pine, and it gets dinged, but again, it is there to protect the tools, not to be an end in itself. I obviously tend towards the functional, there may be middle ground, like an exterior of a more common wood, but the "wow" factor appearing once it is opened up. It's your chest, make it to your taste, its all good.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Not sure I’ll ever finish at the rate I’m going but I’m using walnut on mine.

(More accurately I should say at the rate it keeps getting bumped for other more pressing projects)
-Marc

I intend it to be a showcase for my favorite and most valuable tools. My special hand tools never leave my basement shop. I want my son to know that these tools are family heirlooms and should not be sold at a garage sale. So, I want to select a premium wood that works nicely. Walnut or mahogany would be good choices.
(11-17-2017, 06:35 PM)JSpill Wrote: I intend it to be a showcase for my favorite and most valuable tools. My special hand tools never leave my basement shop. I want my son to know that these tools are family heirlooms and should not be sold at a garage sale. So, I want to select a premium wood that works nicely. Walnut or mahogany would be good choices.

By all means, go for it. Look for special wood, take your time.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Sapele if you're concerned about weight. Bubinga if you are more concerned about damage resistance.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
While not a chest, I made my handtool cabinet from American Elm.

Ed
Often it's more a question of "What have you got?"

I could tell you to build it out out of all sorts of weird Sth Hemisphere woods, but the chances of you finding Rimu for any sensible price is remote. But I have a large stack of it (recycled) in the shed. 

Build it with the wood YOU have. "Best" is then up to you. I'd probably go with Macrocarpa (Monterey) Cypress, but again, good luck finding that in the US (even though that's where it's native)