What wood to use for a tool chest?
With each section use a different wood and if you want knobs and other things like that make it as an accent to the woods in that section.

The different kinds of Ebony would work for accent pieces like splines, knobs, or other things like that.  Then curly maple, curly mahogany, waterfall Bubinga and other woods like that in other sections.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Ianab,

In the middle of a custom toychest for granddaughter #6... needs to be done for Christmas.
Honored wife has a beautiful custom curly cherry jewelry box she loves, every bit, including the trim, made by her brokenolmarine.
She just hated to see that box used for my smithing tools when she saw how it turned out. Lol.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Well, at least you were able to keep yours, Marine. The one I built now holds jewelry instead of my 'smithing tools. :-(
Yours looks great by the way!
I’ve built a few tool chests, and all but one have been pine. Whatever construction-grade pine is available at the home center is good enough of you pick through it.

My big joiner’s chest, however, needed to be special. It’s a frame-and-panel affair, with a cherry frame and spalted pecan panels. It’s sturdy, spacious, and pleasing to look at. By all means use a pretty wood for your chest. You’re building a future heirloom, it seems, so use a material that both you and your descendants will enjoy looking at. You can use practically anything for the carcass, but do use appropriate wood for any moving parts such as drawer slides in the interior.

One note, though: avoid any species that tends to react with iron or steel. For that reason I would avoid white oak. Over time, the tannins may corrode any steel object that is in direct contact with the wood.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
Hmmm,
I did not know that.
My drawers were all ply, and I lined them all, but for future reference... good to know.
Thanks..
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Mine is Teak, with Ebony, Rosewood and Walnut fixtures and accents.