Filling in after laser engraving
I didn't find this topic addressed anywhere.  Maybe it is and I just didn't see it.  

Anyway, my daughter recently gave me this cutting board:

https://www.amazon.com/Recipe-Funny-Engr...eywords=re

As you can see, the letters need to be darkened so that you can read them.  Only, I'm not sure how to go about darkening just the letters and not the wood around the letters.

I've never done something like this and am not sure how to go about it.  In my searches, I've found recommendations to use shellac first, then paint, then wipe off the paint.  I've also seen using wax, paint, then wipe off the paint.  But how do you keep the shellac/wax from getting into the engraved letters?

Everyone here seems so helpful.  Please, I need help.  I don't want to ruin what she gave me
(11-19-2017, 12:54 PM)exermom Wrote: I didn't find this topic addressed anywhere.  Maybe it is and I just didn't see it.  

Anyway, my daughter recently gave me this cutting board:

https://www.amazon.com/Recipe-Funny-Engr...eywords=re

As you can see, the letters need to be darkened so that you can read them.  Only, I'm not sure how to go about darkening just the letters and not the wood around the letters.

I've never done something like this and am not sure how to go about it.  In my searches, I've found recommendations to use shellac first, then paint, then wipe off the paint.  I've also seen using wax, paint, then wipe off the paint.  But how do you keep the shellac/wax from getting into the engraved letters?

maybe you could use a paint pen to darken the laser burning?

Everyone here seems so helpful.  Please, I need help.  I don't want to ruin what she gave me
<maybe you could use a paint pen to darken the laser burning?>

I'm afraid I don't have a steady enough hand to do that. I take ceramics and whenever there is a fine line that needs to be drawn, I always ask someone else to do it for me.

What I was thinking was that there might be a wax or shellac that I can put over the board, paint in the letters, then wipe off the excess paint. I'm just not sure what to use that won't get in the grooves of the letters. Is there anything like that?
(11-19-2017, 06:49 PM)exermom Wrote: <maybe you could use a paint pen to darken the laser burning?>

I'm afraid I don't have a steady enough hand to do that.  I take ceramics and whenever there is a fine line that needs to be drawn, I always ask someone else to do it for me.

What I was thinking was that there might be a wax or shellac that I can put over the board, paint in the letters, then wipe off the excess paint.  I'm just not sure what to use that won't get in the grooves of the letters.  Is there anything like that?

Are the letters actually recessed from the surface or more or less just scorched on the surface ?   If they are just scorched on the surface a surface treatment (such as  mineral oil) may work to darken the letters but would also have an effect on the rest of the wood.   Unless they are recessed paint will not work.   Roly