Gas Generator Won't Run
(12-01-2017, 07:55 AM)Dusty Workshop Wrote: My honda generator manual says not to use fuel with ethanol for this very reason.  Around here Liberty is the only gas station that I have found that has ethanol free gas.

My nephew is a mechanic.  He told me that they replace all of the small engine fuel lines yearly because of ethanol damage :preventive maintenance.

The local boat shop has a fuel line cut in half on display. It's obvious why you have carb issues after using ethanol...
Mark

I'm no expert, unlike everybody else here - Busdrver

Nah...I like you, young feller...You remind me of my son... Timberwolf 03/27/12

Here's a fact: Benghazi is a Pub Legend... CharlieD 04/19/15

I did some more checking and reading and figured out 

a) misreading the meter - decimal was in the wrong place
b) I was testing across both legs which puts them out of phase.  testing 1 leg to ground gives me the 60hz.  

so at this point I think the generator is ok.

Cool ..
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

NOICE!

So now that you've adjusted the throttle, what happens if a larger load is place on the generator?

I had figured they'd adjust their throttles automatically, have some sort of feedback loop looking for 60-Hz.

But I've never used a generator and have no idea how they work.
(12-01-2017, 07:23 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: NOICE!

So now that you've adjusted the throttle, what happens if a larger load is place on the generator?

I had figured they'd adjust their throttles automatically, have some sort of feedback loop looking for 60-Hz.

But I've never used a generator and have no idea how they work.

I didn't adjust anything.  I retested after a bit more research and decided its doing what it's supposed to, only with a bit more vim and vigor with the new fuel system.

What happens at least with this one is when there's a load on it, the engine dips a bit, like a mower hitting tall grass, then it recovers.  It adjusts the throttle somehow.
Ok but you were getting 170 volts before?
(12-01-2017, 09:03 PM)Phil Thien Wrote: Ok but you were getting 170 volts before?

yes.  that was unloaded.  loaded with a heater and a lightbulb  it tested out ok.
(12-01-2017, 09:20 PM)crokett™ Wrote: yes.  that was unloaded.  loaded with a heater and a lightbulb  it tested out ok.

Ah, got it, thanks!
(12-01-2017, 10:20 AM)crokett™ Wrote: well this generator is 15 years old, so I'm guessing 15 year old fuel lines were the issue, not ethanol fuel.  Personally, I've always run ethanol treatment +stabilizer in the gas for my small engines and haven't had problems.  For sure I don't replace fuel lines yearly.  

It takes some time for ethanol to do it's trick. I ran this boat for about 10 years before I had a problem. So enough fuel was going through the lines but once the lines started degrading, they went fast. The first tine the carb quit (1 of 3) I opened the float bowl and saw a green goo. I figured it was just old fuel that turned to varnish. I cleaned all the carbs and it ran fine. Then it happened again a couple months later. Same green goo. I ran a pipe cleaner through a short fuel line and you couldn't even tell it was a pipe cleaner anymore. Completely covered with this stuff.

I contacted a Suzuki parts dealer to get the kit (all pre formed fuel lines) and he said the kit was no longer available and replacements weren't going to be made because the motor is pretty old ('81) and newer fuel line  available from the auto parts store was more resistant to ethanol degradation. I still have it apart, haven't had time to replace the lines. I'm also replacing the float valves because also degrade.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(12-02-2017, 03:35 AM)OctaviaSlanter Wrote: You can start it up once a month as much as you want, the problem is the gas is not being changed out. Generally on the base of the float bowl, there is a screw near the bottom, not the one that secures the bowl, but a drain plug.

Big Grin I have a 24kw generator with diesel engine and I got a problem on Fuel pipe clogged. However, I followed the guide of user manual by determining the location of the clog and clear it. Clean filter element.

Of all my power equipment, I make sure the generator is always on a "ready status". I generally keep a gas can full of fuel that is maybe a month old at the most. When I run the generator, I put about a half-pint in and it does the job..thing is, I run it dry.

I replace the fuel line every year...it's not molded and is about a buck and a half...never know when the insides start drying out.
Smirk

So you have a diesel generator that you keep gas in your fuel can, and you run your diesel generator dry every time? 
Laugh 
Do you find it enjoyable to have to prime the fuel system every time you want to start it? 
Laugh 

Looks like spam to me. What country are you from?
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020