Smelly drawers
Yes, I have smelly drawers dresser drawers that is. At times I worry that my clothes pick up a little of the sent.  I built my dresser over 20 years ago.  I used 9 ply for the drawers and sprayed them with a pre-cat. lacquer.  The inside back of the dresser also got a couple coats of finish.  I don't remember why I finished the back and not the inside of the sides.  I made this dresser while a worked at a cabinet shop and use the same lacquer that thousands of cabinets and furniture were sprayed with.  As with all newly spared furniture, the smell eventually disappears, but for some reason, the inside of my dresser still has a faint odor.  More of a pukey smell.  Very faint, but noticeable.

I'm wondering if I should sand the drawers down to bare wood, remake drawers, or recoat with a shellac.  Sanding would be a pain and am leaning towards doing the shellac to see if that helps.

Anyone have any thoughts on this stinking problem.  Can't figure out why the smell would hang around this long after 20+ yrs.  Thoughts and opinions appreciated.
Coat one with shellac and see how it does.

Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away. - Philip K. Dick

Mark

Yeah, I'd try the shellac approach.  I'd use Sealcoat as it's dewaxed and sticks to darned near anything as long as it's clean.  Also, pull out the drawers and see if the inside of the cabinet itself stinks.   If it does I'd spray that with Sealcoat, too. 

John
(11-20-2017, 10:35 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Yeah, I'd try the shellac approach.  I'd use Sealcoat as it's dewaxed and sticks to darned near anything as long as it's clean.  Also, pull out the drawers and see if the inside of the cabinet itself stinks.   If it does I'd spray that with Sealcoat, too. 

John

I've had one drawer out for a week now along with all the clothes, and I really don't really smell anything in the cabinet itself.

I'm assuming the Sealcoat is in rattle can form which would be ok if I had to get in there to do the inside.

Really think its weird that the finish smell could last that long.

Thanks

Mike
Is it possible the smell is from something else?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Is it possible the smell is from something else?  Seems to me if that finish was giving off odors from the drawers, it would be doing the same thing from the back side of the case.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(11-20-2017, 10:29 AM)meackerman Wrote: Coat one with shellac and see how it does.

For sure.  I built a dog sleeping crate and finished it with oil based poly.  I waited 10 days after the last coat to introduce it to my dog.  He refused to enter.  After another week I bought a rattle can of shellac and sprayed the interior.  He slept in the crate that evening.

If it can hid the smell from a Chesapeake Bay Retriever, it certainly can hide the scent from any human.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I'm sold on shellac.
It stops odors.

Latex sealer didn't work at all. Poly didn't work.
For smelly drawers
Big Grin

[Image: 82eadb697eeba6a88e3a707c29ebb5ab6622ad65.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.