Advice on finishing a box?
No one has mentioned shellac. It goes well over BLO and can be left glossy or finished satin with a very fine abrasive pad. It's a traditional box finish and is very durable. I've used both shellac and satin wipe-on poly on small boxes and I like shellac the best. It is a clear finish that won't obscure the grain like multiple coats of satin poly, and, to me at least, it is more pleasing to the touch.

I like the fulcrum idea. Clever, like a secret opening device.
I use watco danish oil with beeswax over that.
For opening, shape a unique handle, and add that using leftover matching or contrasting wood.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
I’ve used the fulcrum idea at both ends actually. Press down one end and grab the other as it pops up. Otherwise that lid needs a handle.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
I would absolutely put a clear coat over the BLO.

The top definitely needs a handle, but I think a knob would ruin the visual effect. A long, narrow handle would be perfect.
Steve S.
------------------------------------------------------
Tradition cannot be inherited, and if you want it you must obtain it by great labour.
- T. S. Eliot

Tutorials and Build-Alongs at The Literary Workshop
(11-20-2017, 09:55 AM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Should I just leave it BLO or should I add a couple layers of satin wipe on poly?

I'm not a finishing expert by any stretch, but I've grown to love the simplicity and results of Minwax Wipe-on Poly.

[Image: 32796-01-1000.jpg]
Quote:This one is butternut with a cherry lid and splines.

Since the lid appears to be fairly thick you could rout an elongated slot, much like a mortise, in the top.
Say 3/4 to 7/8 inch deep.

Then cut a piece of the contrasting wood, butternut, and make an elongated handle with tapered edges and rounded corners to match the corners the router bit created and glue it into the elongated slot with the narrow edge of the taper down. It would add matching contrast and the handle would be flush with surface of the top and provide a good gripping surface.
I like simple finishes.

I really like the Minwax wipe on satin Poly

I also like shellac and tung oil, either of which would also work.

Never tried lacquer yet.

Danish oil is also an option.
Here's how I fixed the box. Wipe on poly will go on next.

Attached Files Image(s)

Semper fi,
Brad

(11-30-2017, 03:43 PM)®smpr_fi_mac® Wrote: Here's how I fixed the box.  Wipe on poly will go on next.

For my decorative boxes, I like to wetsand some kind of oil--usually Danish. I take it down to about 600 grit in a couple of coats and let it dry. Flood, sand, wipe off. Easy peasy. What I love about it is the feel of the wood when it's done--it's unbelievably smooth. Then when completely cured I just put on some wax. So far no problems.
"As God is my witness, I thought turkeys could fly!" Arthur 'Big Guy' Carlson