wiring timer switch
(11-20-2017, 05:39 PM)crokett™ Wrote: LOAD is for the device being powered - light, receptacle, whatever.  your timer is just a switch.  it switches the hot, at least according to what I'm seeing online for your timer with no neutral.

from your description you need to wire green on the timer to existing ground.  black on the timer goes to the existing black (hot).  red on the timer is the load, so it goes to black on the device you are controlling.     leave your existing white wires the way they are.

I'd agree.  The online description for your unit says "No neutral".   If you hook it up as above and it does not work I'd replace it... you might have a defective one.
WoodNET... the new safespace
Verify that the black is the hot.   It used to be if you dropped a two wire cable down for a switch the identified white was the hot and the black was the load to the fixture.     Many times they were not marked.    Roly
(11-20-2017, 01:08 PM)varkpilot Wrote: Timer switch has ground wire, hot wire [blk] and RED wire [label: LOAD].

The wiring in the wall outlet box is standard black, white, green.

I would assume black-to-black and green-to-green but when I put "white to red" the timer appears to have no power.

Try the suggestion note after number 8 in the installation instructions:

[Image: 24680226548_f7d643a121_b.jpg]
(11-20-2017, 08:18 PM)Ohio Mike Wrote: Has to be picking a ground up for neutral and being electronic it is not much current. The two wires replace the switch wires. As mentioned if it does not work switch the two black wires around. Always do this without power. Electronic circuits do not like surges. 

Try the suggestion note after number 8 in the installation instructions:

[Image: 24680226548_f7d643a121_b.jpg]
John T.