Roman Carbide Forstner bits
I bought the Roman Carbide Forstner bits from Amazon.  They came today.  The box sounded like a baby rattle.  I opened the box to check for any chipped carbide.  I was OK on that end.

Next I chucked one up in the drill press and the run-out was noticeable.  I measured it at 0.015"  When I chuck up my router centering pin, it is less than 0.003"  I chucked up the second bit.  It was better, only 0.009" 

What should I expect for $150USD.  I was hoping for better.

They do cut clean shoulders.  If I don't clamp the part, but let it follow the run-out, the hole should be approximate in size
Uhoh
I tried not believing.  That did not work, so now I just believe
I would return for exchange the tolerance would not be acceptable tp me. regardless of the price.
(11-20-2017, 02:18 PM)Cecil Wrote: I bought the Roman Carbide Forstner bits from Amazon.  They came today.  The box sounded like a baby rattle.  I opened the box to check for any chipped carbide.  I was OK on that end.

Next I chucked one up in the drill press and the run-out was noticeable.  I measured it at 0.015"  When I chuck up my router centering pin, it is less than 0.003"  I chucked up the second bit.  It was better, only 0.009" 

What should I expect for $150USD.  I was hoping for better.

They do cut clean shoulders.  If I don't clamp the part, but let it follow the run-out, the hole should be approximate in size
Uhoh

.015 is 1/64.   That's more than just a bit off.  You'd never get an intimate fit with a dowel.
I am sorry to say, but these need to go back.
(11-20-2017, 08:04 PM)loosetoe Wrote: .015 is 1/64.   That's more than just a bit off.  You'd never get an intimate fit with a dowel.
With the way dowels are not to correct size you might have nice fitting dowel joints, just not the ones you wanted!
(11-20-2017, 08:04 PM)loosetoe Wrote: .015 is 1/64.   That's more than just a bit off.  You'd never get an intimate fit with a dowel.

That's assuming a dowel is actually what it's supposed to be.  In my experience, that's a crapshoot.
I have never had any trouble with a return to Amazoo, sometimes they don't do great on writing up good descriptions, but they always say yes to me sending something back. Those don't sound like drill bits, they sound like wandering goat herders.

I really like the Fisch Forstner bits I have. I bought just the ones I use. I don't go for every size that someone thinks I need, so I buy better grade, but less of them, and only what I need. Amazon isn't a good place for all of the Fisch bits. I bought a few Carbide ones first, but then I went with several sizes in HSS, and they are really nice. I have used them a lot more than the carbide actually.

Home Depot 7 piece set 84 bux shipped free If you really want a set. I know you will be pleased with the bits, made in Austria, good steel, great workmanship. IIRC they talk about 300 holes before needing to sharpen. I would say that is accurate.

Whatever you do, send those ones back to Amazoo.
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
(11-21-2017, 05:36 AM)KC Wrote: That's assuming a dowel is actually what it's supposed to be.  In my experience, that's a crapshoot.

Some may call these frighteningly expensive If you want dowels you can count on, I call them a great deal  
Big Grin
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW
I decided to look at what Morris Wood Tool forester bits were selling for, sad to say looks like they went out of business.  In fact, the equipment auction was 5 days ago.

My take on these bits is stick with a decent quality HSS set from Asia if you don't want to spend a lot.  I haven't had the Amana Timberline ones in stock for a while but I assume Amana does a good job of sourcing Asian product and they are not priced too terribly.

I checked Whiteside and a 1" carbide tipped forstner was $92, ouch.

I did import some 35mm bits for a customer one time and I think my cost on them was 88 cents each and they were carbide tipped.  Probably same quality as the Roman Carbide bits so with that knowledge I couldn't pay $150 for them.  Be careful of recycled carbide too on the imported stuff.