Early WoodNet, still more added
(01-15-2018, 11:30 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: For the newer members, Peter Tremblay is better recognized by the long time folks as Father Peter, a real Catholic priest with a looooong history here on WoodNet. He joined WN as a Franciscan friar(I think I have that right) and quickly became the 'Official Religious Problem Helper' before graduating to the 'Official WoodNet Confessor'.

Actually, tongue in cheek aside, Father Peter is a really good guy, pretty accomplished woodworker(if he ever gets his bombe chest finished), and a superb teacher(even if his techniques sometimes get him in hot water).

Thanks, Mac.

You have that correct.

However I'd be very grateful if we could go without the title "Father".  I'm not a big fan of titles.  I have to put up with them at work so I'd rather not here.

Oh, and I'm not sure if that bombe chest will every get finished 
Rolleyes
Peter

My "day job"
Hey, if my bathroom could be finished, your project still has hope 
Laugh
Greg

It's better to burn out than it is to rust

Danchris Nursery
(01-16-2018, 01:00 PM)2beast Wrote: Hey, if my bathroom could be finished, your project still has hope 
Laugh

Yes
Peter

My "day job"
(01-16-2018, 01:09 AM)Peter Tremblay Wrote: However I'd be very grateful if we could go without the title "Father".  I'm not a big fan of titles.  I have to put up with them at work so I'd rather not here.

Ok Peter, you got it!  It's my habit, as my father's two sisters were Nuns, so "Father" and "Sister" are in my DNA.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Leonard Bailey (was that him, his name was Cliff?)
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(01-18-2018, 07:00 AM)fredhargis Wrote: Leonard Bailey (was that him, his name was Cliff?)
He used to sign his name, but I don't remember it, but it wasn't Cliff..
There is a Cliff Ober who still is on here occasionally, he used to be from the Houston area, and then moved up north about a year ago...
Skip

I just wish young RyanC would come back and talk to us....
Skip

I joined in late 2004, but as you can see, was never a very prolific poster. I have also had times when I didn’t visit often, due to my waxing and waning interest in woodworking (actually a depression problem, but never mind).

I started out following the Hand Tools forum. Back then, Bob Smalser was a frequent poster, giving information on wood planes and their rehabilitation. He also posted some tutorials on rehabbing old socket chisels, including making new handles, and listing good brands (there were many more back in the day, when some hardware store would carry their own brand, made by major manufacturers). I believe he either got too busy, or maybe ran out of new topics to talk about. He posted many of his tutorials to other sites and a number of them have been archived on WoodCentral. I still find them useful.

I never found the discussions too intense. The groups were already moderated when I joined, and if discussions got too heated, I would move on. That was easier, not knowing anyone personally, so I never felt invested.

I’ve looked at some of the other woodworking forums, of course, but this has always been my favorite, both for the quality of information, the relative congeniality, and the people on here.

Speaking of those who have passed, let’s not forget Walt Quadrato, who ran Brass City Records and Brass City Toolworks in Waterbury, Connecticut. I always looked forward to his posts on Monday, showing the tools he had found and bought over the weekend. He found an amazing number of old tools in Connecticut and surrounding areas. I feel lucky to have met him and his cat Solo in 2008, when I took a driving trip to Maine, and of course made the side trip to visit. He sold me a Stanley #2, a Starrett steel rule with protractor and center-finding head from a different manufacturer, and a few other odds and ends.
Hank Gillette
(12-08-2017, 02:44 PM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: For several years, Basement denizens insisted(and still do) that a thread was not real unless there were pictures included or the answers went way off the subject matter(HiJacked).

That tradition is alive and producing continual offspring.
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin
Big Grin

Ayup.
[Image: ThisThreadIsUselessWithoutPics.jpg]
(01-04-2018, 09:16 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Wasn't there a guy called "Cat chaser" or was that his car?

(01-04-2018, 11:59 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: That was RbL2's car. A yellow ford roadster. 1923 or so. I think I got the RbL2 name right....maybe...
Laugh

Yup, Bill Hall otherwise known as Rbl2.  We chat regularly, and we actually went hunting together a couple years back.  

[Image: Temp.jpg]