Early WoodNet, still more added
I missed the first few years of this forum but I have always enjoyed what I found here. There was always and answer for my questions no matter how obscure.
The thing I recall from the early days was the frequent and helpful participation from tool manufacturers.  Delta, Pony/Jorgenson and Freud come to mind.   It was fun to see direct connection with the companies we depend on for our tools.   However, if I recall, legal issues took over and they were told to not participate due to corporate policies.   (lawyers ruin everything).
“Poor quality lingers long after the sweetness of cheap price is forgotten”
I didn't find this forum until 2007 but wish I had found it much earlier. I've got a lot of good advice, bought several tools and bought more wood than I'll use in a lifetime from other members. I tried a few other forums but always seemed to end up back here so this is pretty much the only forum I participate in. Really great, caring and considerate people on here who are willing to help each other out.

Thanks Mac for the glimpse of the past! 

Frank
I just looked and realized I have just passed my 18th year here.
I read a lot of the posts but don't post much myself.
I have learned a lot here.
I believe I found my way here by way of Badger Pond.

It always works on paper!
(11-21-2017, 09:51 AM)05 mustang Wrote: I just looked and realized I have just passed my 18th year here.
I read a lot of the posts but don't post much myself.
I have learned a lot here.
I believe I found my way here by way of Badger Pond.

I find it interesting that you joined a woodworking forum around 3 months before the world was going to end with Y2k...  Technology was still so new then... Good thing we survived.
(11-20-2017, 09:36 PM)EightFingers Wrote: I was the first one you asked to give you a hand moderating. It sure did get interesting.
I actually met someone I banned at an art show. Even after almost a year he was still mad.
I never got a trophy, but I remember them.

To bad so many people have so much ugly inside when talking of wood working.  They always think there way is the only way and that they invented wood working.  I also wish the OT was gone since it spills over everywhere even outside of this forum like Eight fingers said. 
No
No

All I know for one is that while being in the hospital my wife brought me a copy of Woodsmith and then about two years later the VA asked me what hobby I wished and I chose woodworking and then came here from the that was provided on the magazine.

The rest I can say is a lot of guys here helped me mentally cope with a lot of things and I still have a lot to learn, however, what I have learned I pass on to vets like me.
Thank God for friends I have not met yet that help me here.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I joined this forum when I retired almost 9 years ago. I was new to woodworking and was amazed at how much knowledge was readily shared here. Like Greg, I've made several friends from all over the country.
Currently a smarta$$ but hoping to one day graduate to wisea$$
Way back, there was a TV show called Warehouse Warriors on cable. The premise was two teams of a connected group(family/job/church/etc.) went to the set---an actual warehouse separated by a huge sliding door---which had a full woodshop set up. There was a host(Ed Del Grande), two 'carpenters' and two film crews. Each team was given a project and 8 hours in which to complete the project.

I forget who first posted about the show, but it struck me this would be a perfect idea for us here on WoodNet to try. Found out what was needed to apply. A demo video along with still photo's of the team members and bio's was necessary. Did not take much for Trosey(Texas), Doc(Illinois), and Missouri Sawdust(Peculiar, Mo.) to volunteer to come to Kansas City to make a demo.

Turns out the show did not have another team in the wings and asked if we could find two more(teams of three with an alternate) for a total of six and compete against each other. The POC at the show office was so excited we had applied(real woodworkers connected only by the internet), she never watched the demo.
Big Grin

So,  the word went out and two more volunteered. I am ashamed to say I cannot remember names(HELP Mo SAW!!), but one of the fellas worked for Delta Tool Company.

We had a ball. The show staff loved us and said if we ever wanted to come back, they'd love to have us(the show was cancelled the following year
Rolleyes ).

The six of us, three in red shirts and three in blue went out for beers and eats---the folks in the restaurant thought we were a bowling team.
Laugh
Laugh
Laugh 

The show gave us tapes(VCR) of our episode. I had about 30 made and shipped to folks, mine is somewhere. I cannot find the pictures we took, but have this:
[attachment=5868]
I remember you guys doing that,it was a hoot.

Mel
ABC(Anything But Crapsman)club member
I came along halfway through the show, remember a lot of names no longer here, and have seen many come and go, and a lot came and stayed. Wild West or not it's still the best woodworking forum going. Plus we don't need to pay 6 bux to post a picchur
Big Grin
Laugh
Laugh
Worst thing they can do is cook ya and eat ya

GW