Butcher block counter top
(11-21-2017, 07:25 PM)Bill Holt Wrote: John, I have done two projects using Rockler's butcher block.  For me, it made a lot of sense to buy vs. build.  The first one was a top for a large rolling island 50"x60" and it was hard maple made of 2x2 stock.  Rockler apparently change suppliers before the second project.  It was made of 1x2 stock and did not have the traditional look. 

I have the DW735 and doing a large top in 12 or 13 inch sections was going to require too much time.

I double checked and you are right.  

I am going to go out to L.L. and see what they have.  I am just starting working the wood today so I have time to get the top.  Mine's going to be 50x30.  It's not that big so I may just build it.  I have a source for thicker stock.  I might go with white oak if I am going to make it my self.  The cabinet is being made out of oak.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.
[attachment=5881 Wrote:John Mihich pid='7553342' dateline='1511363570']
I double checked and you are right.  

I am going to go out to L.L. and see what they have.  I am just starting working the wood today so I have time to get the top.  Mine's going to be 50x30.  It's not that big so I may just build it.  I have a source for thicker stock.  I might go with white oak if I am going to make it my self.  The cabinet is being made out of oak.
I used L.L. oak butcher block for the top of my last work bench, and it turned out fine:

.pdf   WorkBench02.PDF (Size: 141.82 KB / Downloads: 188)
Rip to width. Plane to thickness. Cut to length. Join.
I bought my bench tops from Global industrial. They are Boo's food grade tops. The price and shipping was very reasonable. http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/work-b...bench-tops
"Well, my time of not taking you seriously is coming to a middle."
(11-21-2017, 05:06 PM)John Mihich Wrote: I am building a kitchen work station for my daughter.  I want to put a maple butcher block on it.  I have no issue with building one.  I just wonder if anyone has done the math on buying one versus making one.  The top will be about 50x30 - I can adjust a bit.  I can buy one at Menards for $180. 

I'm thinking that buying a used table might be cheaper.  I have seen lots of those butcher block tables in used furniture places.  

I could use oak but all I have is red oak - thinking that's too open grain - white oak would be ok but I don't have any in stock.  

TIA

John,
There is an outfit Oroville, CA called The Perfect Plank and all they do is table tops and counter tops in wood. Many choices in wood and glue up, (finger joint or butt joint) mostly 1-3/8" https://perfectplank.com/  I paid ~$72.00 for a 30" x 24" in finger jointed Alder . This may not work for you since you mention Menards that we do not have in California. But they are easy to talk with and may be able to connect with someone close to where you live.
Bill
(11-25-2017, 08:21 AM)teetomterrific Wrote: I bought my bench tops from Global industrial. They are Boo's food grade tops. The price and shipping was very reasonable. http://www.globalindustrial.com/g/work-b...bench-tops

I should have looked here before I bought from Menard's.  The Maple was a bit more than I paid but they had the exact size and a decent price that included shipping.  I may consider taking the one back to Menard's.  Thanks for the link.
John

Always use the right tool for the job.

We need to clean house.